Kecoughtan High School
|Kecoughtan High School|
|522 Woodland Road
Hampton, Virginia, 23669
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Hampton City Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Linda Shifflette|
|Assistant principals||Kevin Davis
|Enrollment||1900  (2007–08)|
|Color(s)||Green and White|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League
AAA Peninsula District
AAA Eastern Region
|Rival||Phoebus High School
Bethel High School
Hampton High School
|Communities served||Fox Hill, Virginia|
Kecoughtan High School is a public high school located in Hampton, Virginia. The current grades offered are 9–12. Kecoughtan High School is one of four high schools located in the Hampton City Public School District. The other three are Phoebus High School, Bethel High School (Hampton, Virginia), and Hampton High School (Hampton, Virginia).
- Asbury Elementary School
- Barron Elementary School
- Phillips Elementary School
- Phoebus Elementary School
- Smith Elementary School
- Jones Magnet Middle School
- Syms Middle School
- Eaton Middle School
- C. Vernon Spratley Gifted Center
- Aberdeen Elementary School
Kecoughtan High School was originally built in 1962 to handle the overflow of Hampton High School. Since then Kecoughtan has been used as an educational facility for high school students in the Foxhill area.
The word Kecoughtan comes from the name of the Virginia Algonquian Native Americans living there when the English colonists arrived in the Hampton Roads area in 1607. The Native Americans were originally named Kikotan (also spelled Kiccowtan, Kikowtan etc.)
Kecoughtan High School offers many sports, and these include Baseball, Basketball, Cheerleading, Cross country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Boys and girls volleyball and Wrestling.
- Jo Ann Davis – Republican former congresswoman of Virginia
- Bert Mizusawa – Major General in the United States Army Reserve
- Jerod Mayo - National Football League player (2008–present)
The Kecoughtan Marching "Warriors" are a Class AAA band that has been a Virginia Honor Band three times. The band was part of the 2011 National Memorial Day Parade Lineup in Washington, D.C., on May 30, 2011.
The Kecoughtan band has hosted their annual "Warrior Classic" marching band competition at Darling Stadium since 1990.
Accreditation and rankings
Kecoughtan high school is fully accredited.
- Kecoughtan High School
- Alumni Site
- Kecoughtan High School Band
- Kecoughtan High School Girls Volleyball. NOTE: Scores, schedule and other pertinent information that directly reflects Kecoughtan High School, the girls volleyball team and coaches is factual
- "Kecoughtan High School Report Card". Virginia Department of Education. Retrieved 2008-07-23.