Keeping Up with the Kardashians
|Keeping Up with the Kardashians|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||9|
|No. of episodes||116 (List of episodes)|
|Original run||October 14, 2007– present|
Keeping Up with the Kardashians is an American reality television series that has aired on E! since October 14, 2007. The series has aired eight seasons, and focuses on the personal and professional lives of the Kardashian/Jenner family. Its premise was originated with Ryan Seacrest, who additionally serves as an executive producer.
The series focuses on sisters Kim, Kourtney and Khloé Kardashian. It additionally places emphasis on their brother Rob Kardashian, their mother Kris Jenner, their stepfather Bruce Jenner, their half-sisters Kendall and Kylie Jenner, and Kourtney's boyfriend Scott Disick. Khloé's husband Lamar Odom developed a major position as part of the supporting cast in the fourth season, though he was not a regular cast member in following seasons, and rarely appeared in season 8 while attempting to fix his marriage to Khloe. In season 8, Bruce's children Brody and Brandon, and Brandon's wife, Leah became recurring cast members.
Keeping Up with the Kardashians has received moderately favorable reviews from critics. However, it is often criticized for emphasizing the "famous for being famous" concept and appearing to fabricate aspects of its storyline. The series has produced the spin-offs Kourtney and Kim Take Miami, Kourtney and Kim Take New York, and Khloé & Lamar. It has additionally distributed all seasons to DVD.
Defense attorney Robert Kardashian and Kristen Mary "Kris" Houghton married in 1978 and had four children together, daughters Kourtney (born 1979), Kim (born 1980), and Khloé, (born 1984), and son Rob (born 1987). The couple divorced in 1990. In 1994, Robert entered the media spotlight when he defended O.J. Simpson for the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman during a lengthy trial. Kris married former Olympic champion Bruce Jenner in 1991. Bruce and Kris had two daughters together, Kendall (born 1995) and Kylie (born 1997). Robert died in 2003 eight weeks after being diagnosed with esophageal cancer. In 2004, Kim became a personal stylist to recording artist Brandy Norwood; she eventually developed into a full-time stylist, and was a personal shopper and stylist to actress Lindsay Lohan. Khloé, Kim and Kourtney further ventured into fashion, opening a high fashion boutique D-A-S-H in Calabasas, California. Throughout Kim's early career, she involved herself in some high-profile relationships including Norwood's brother rapper Ray J and later, singer Nick Lachey. In 2006, Kourtney starred in her first reality television series, Filthy Rich: Cattle Drive. In February 2007, a home sex video that Kim made with Ray J years earlier was leaked. Vivid Entertainment bought the rights for $1 million and released the film as Kim Kardashian: Superstar on February 21. Kim sued Vivid for ownership of the tape, but dropped the suit in April 2007 and settled with Vivid Entertainment for $5 million.
In August 2007, it was announced that the Kardashians and Jenners would star in a yet-to-be-titled reality show on E!, with Ryan Seacrest serving as executive producer. Seacrest said "At the heart of the series—despite the catfights and endless sarcasm—is a family that truly loves and supports one another [...] The familiar dynamics of this family make them one Hollywood bunch that is sure to entertain." The series announcement came one week after Paris Hilton and her friend Nicole Richie announced that their popular E! series entitled The Simple Life was ending. Keeping Up With the Kardashians premiered on October 14, 2007.
On November 13, 2007, it was announced that E! renewed the show for its second season. The following year, it was renewed for a third season. Lisa Berger, executive vice president of original programming and series development for the network, said "viewers have embraced the Kardashian family and the series has become one of television's most-talked-about shows [...] We are fortunate to work with Seacrest and Bunim-Murray, which have an exceptional ability to capture the Kardashians' hilarious, chaotic and always entertaining personalities and family dynamics." The Hollywood Reporter reported that the family made an estimated $65 million throughout 2010.
In 2011, Kim married NBA player Kris Humphries in a highly publicized wedding ceremony, but filed for divorce 72 days later. This caused widespread backlash from the public and media. Several news outlets surmised that Kardashian's marriage to Humphries was merely a publicity stunt, to promote the Kardashian family's brand and their subsequent television ventures. A widely circulated petition asking to remove all Kardashian-related programming from the air has followed since their split. As of December 2013, eight seasons of the series have aired. On April 24, 2012, E! signed a three-year deal with the Kardashian family that will keep the series airing through seasons seven, eight and nine. The deal was estimated at $40 million.
The show revolves around the children of Kris Jenner, and originally focused on her children from her first marriage to deceased attorney Robert Kardashian: Kourtney, Kim, Khloé, and Rob. As the series progressed, Kris' children Kendall and Kylie also became recurring cast members of the show. Kris' second husband 1976 Summer Olympics decathlon champion Bruce Jenner, is also frequently featured on the show, and has been a recurring cast member since the show began. Eldest daughter Kourtney's relationship with boyfriend Scott Disick is often featured in the show, as well as their two children, Mason and Penelope.
Since the series' premiere, the Kardashian sisters have established careers in the fashion industry, co-owning the fashion boutique D-A-S-H and launching several fragrances and clothing collections.
Kim gained notoriety as the subject of a sex tape in 2007, and later became involved in a relationship with New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush from 2007- March 2010. In 2011, she received widespread criticism after filing for divorce from New Jersey Nets power forward Kris Humphries after a 72-day marriage. In 2012, while still married Kim became pregnant by rapper Kanye West; after suffering from preeclampsia she gave birth prematurely to their daughter North the following June.
Khloé attained notability in her own right after being arrested for driving under the influence in 2007, for which she was jailed for approximately three hours in 2008. The following year (during the fourth season), she married Los Angeles Lakers forward Lamar Odom after a one-month relationship. In 2012, she served as a co-host during the second season of the American version of The X Factor.
Rob launched the sock line "Arthur George" in 2012, and was involved in a relationship with singer Adrienne Bailon in the second through third seasons.
Kendall and Kylie have also established careers in the modeling industry.
In the eighth season, Bruce's sons Brandon and Brody Jenner, and Brandon's wife Leah Felder (daughter of Eagles band member Don Felder), were integrated into the supporting cast, while Kourtney, Khloé, and Kim's friends Malika Haqq and Jonathan Cheban joined the series in the second and third seasons.
The family earns an alleged total of $10 million per season of the series.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||DVD release date|
|Season premiere||Season finale||Region 4|
|1||8||October 14, 2007||December 2, 2007||November 15, 2008|
|2||11||April 9, 2008||May 26, 2008||October 16, 2009|
|3||12||March 8, 2009||May 26, 2009||October 30, 2009|
|4||11||November 8, 2009||February 21, 2010||July 7, 2010|
|5||12||August 22, 2010||December 20, 2010||November 3, 2011|
|6||16||June 12, 2011||December 19, 2011||September 21, 2012|
|7||19||May 20, 2012||October 28, 2012||March 6, 2013|
|8||21||June 2, 2013||December 1, 2013||Part 1: December 5, 2013
Part 2: March 20, 2014
|9||TBA||January 19, 2014||TBA||Part 1: June 19, 2014|
In April 2009, it was announced that Kourtney and Khloé Take Miami, would premiere in August, following the two as they open a second D-A-S-H store in Miami. The series premiered to 2.7 million viewers and averaged 1.89 million viewers. The second season began in June 2010 and averaged 2.717 million viewers, a 43% increase from the first season.
Kourtney and Kim Take New York premiered in January 2011, following the two as they oversee the opening of a third D-A-S-H store in SoHo. The show premiered on January 23, 2011. Khloé & Lamar premiered on April 10, 2011. The second season began on February 19, 2012. The third season of Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami was retitled Kourtney and Kim Take Miami and began airing on January 20, 2013, and the season finale on April 7, 2013.
On March 26, 2014, E! announced two Keeping Up with the Kardashians spin-offs: Kourtney & Khloe Take the Hamptons and Dash Dolls.
"Kourtney and Khloé take the Hamptons" will involve sisters Kourtney Kardashian and Khloé Kardashian temporarily relocating to The Hamptons for the summer of 2014 to work on their Manhattan, New York Dash store whilst opening a pop-up store in The Hamptons. Kourtney's partner Scott Disick and their two children will be joining them for the move. The whole adventure will be filmed and said to be aired in the Fall of 2014 on E!.
"Dash Dolls" chronicles the employee's of the Kardashian D-A-S-H boutiques.
===U.S. television ratings=====\ The show was a hit for E! – in its first month it became the highest-rated series on Sunday nights for ages 18 to 34 and was seen by 1.3 million total viewers according to 2010}}</ref> Lisa Berger, executive vice president of original programming and series development for E!, said "The buzz surrounding the series is huge, and viewers have clearly fallen for the Kardashians [...] Seacrest and Bunim-Murray's unique ability to capture this family's one-of-a-kind dynamics and hilarious antics has made the series a fantastic addition to our prime-time lineup." The second season continued the success and was viewed by 1.6 million viewers, a 23% increase from the first season.
The fifth season averaged 3.11 million viewers. The fourth season's premiere, "The Wedding", was watched by 3.2 million viewers. The second episode of the season topped the 3.2 million of the premiere and had 4.1 million viewers. The Hollywood Reporter stated "why, despite the eye-rolls of half of America, does the other half worship at the altar of a family that unabashedly embraces, celebrates and monetizes that post-millennium cliché of being famous only for being famous?"
Keeping Up with the Kardashians eighth season delivered 2.3 million total viewers and ranking as cable television's No.1 original reality series on Sundays in the 9:00pm hour across key demos, including women 18-34 and women 18-49, during its run. DVR activity for season eight delivers 3.5 million total viewers, and the series more than doubles its audience in Total Viewers between live and seventh day.
- "Comcast's Big Bang". Multichannel News (Special Report ed.) 29 (40): 20. October 13, 2008. Retrieved June 29, 2010.
- Garcia, Jennifer "Khloé Kardashian Odom and Lamar Odom Are in Couples Therapy" People.com, November 14, 2013
- [dead link]
- Robert Kardashian, a Lawyer For O. J. Simpson, Dies at 59 New York Times Published: October 2, 2003
- "Kim Kardashian Biography". People. Time Warner. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- Serpe, Gina (August 8, 2007). "Kim Kardashian Gets a Dose of E!". E!. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- Vivid Entertainment (February 7, 2007). "Vivid Entertainment Spends $1-Million To Acquire Notorious Video 'Starring' Sexy Socialite Kim Kardashian And Hip Hop Star Ray J". Hip Hop Press. Retrieved October 6, 2008.
- Johnson, Richard (May 1, 2007). "Happy Ending". New York Post. Retrieved February 26, 2008.
- Kinon, Cristina (November 13, 2007). "E! renews 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians'". Daily News. Mortimer Zuckerman. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- "E! Renews Keeping Up with the Kardashians - July 17, 2008 07:36:00 | Broadcasting & Cable". Broadcastingcable.com. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- Hughes, Sarah Anne (October 7, 2011). "Kim Kardashian wedding special to air this Sunday: Will you watch?". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- "Kim Kardashian to file for divorce from Kris Humphries". TMZ.com.
- "Kardashian Brand Tarnishing Fast, Say Promoters — ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. January 16, 2012. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- "Was Kardashian marriage a sham?". Chicago Tribune. November 1, 2011. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
- "Thousands Sign ‘No More Kardashian’ Petition – ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. November 16, 2011. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- "Kardashian clan coming to Britain to film new series". Mirror.co.uk. April 23, 2012. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Renewed — E! Extends Series For Three More Seasons". Deadline.com. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
- Meghan Casserly (April 18, 2012). "Keeping Up With The Kardashians 2015: E! Pays $40 Million For Three More Years". Forbes. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- "Kris Jenner Talks Bruce Jenner Split: 'We Are Better People And Happier' Apart" Huffington Post, October 31, 2013
- http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20353935,00.html Kim Kardashian & Reggie Bush Taking Step Back in Their Relationship By Jennifer Garcia March 23, 2010 at 03:00 PM EDT
- Battaglio, Stephen; Schneider, Michael (August 26, 2013). "What They Earn". TV Guide. pp. 16 - 20.
- "Keeping Up With The Kardashians; S1 $26.99 incl. gst". Sanity.com.au. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Keeping Up With The Kardashians; S2". Sanity.com.au. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Keeping Up With The Kardashians; S3". Sanity.com.au. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Keeping Up With The Kardashians; S4". Sanity.com.au. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Keeping Up With The Kardashians; S5". Sanity.com.au. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Keeping Up With The Kardashians; S6". Sanity.com.au. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Keeping Up With The Kardashians; S7 $19.99 incl. gst". Sanity.com.au. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Keeping Up With The Kardashians; S8 P1". Sanity.com.au. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Keeping Up With The Kardashians; S8 P2". Sanity.com.au. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "Keeping Up With The Kardashians: Series 9 - Part 1 (DVD)". EzyDVD.com.au. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- "Breaking News — Development Update: Tuesday, April 21". theFutonCritic.com. Retrieved October 7, 2010.
- "E!’s Kourtney and Khloe’ Take Miami premiere averages 2.7 million". TVByTheNumbers.com. Retrieved June 29, 2010.
- "Season Finale of "Kourtney & Khloe Take Miami" Hits Highs on E!". TVbytheNumbers.com. Retrieved August 17, 2010.
- "Look Out, New York: Here Comes E!'s New Kardashian Show". eOnline.com. Retrieved October 7, 2010.
- Goldberg, Lesley (March 26, 2014). "E! Upfront Slate: More Kardashians, 'Rich Kids,' Lance Bass and 'Gucci' Miniseries". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- Yahoo! News July 17, 2008[dead link]
- "Don Draper caper no match for Kardashian wedding: Keeping Up With the Kardashians draws almost 3.2 million". Tvbythenumbers.com. Retrieved October 7, 2010.
- "Cable ratings: NFL, Heisman The Closer, Men of a Certain Age and Phineas and Ferb top weekly cable charts". Tvbythenumbers.com. Retrieved October 7, 2010.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (December 3, 2013). "E! Announces New Season of 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians' Premiering January 2014". TV by the Numbers (Press release). Retrieved December 20, 2013.