Keith A. Smith
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (November 2011)|
Keith A. Smith (born 1938 in Tipton, Indiana) is an American artist and author. He has taught at the Visual Studies Workshop, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and the University of Illinois. He is a recipient of two Guggenheim Fellowships, a National Endowment of the Arts grant and a Pollock-Krasner Foundation grant. Smith creates books as works of art, as well as instructional texts on how to make books. Smith has made over 280 books.
- 1967: BAE, School of the Art Institute of Chicago (September 1963–May 1967)
- 1968: MS Photography, Institute of Design, Illinois Institute of Technology (September 1967–June 1968)
- 2013: Bruce Silverstein Gallery, New York, NY
- 2011: Bruce Silverstein Gallery, New York, NY
- 2008: Rare Books Room, Rush Rhees Library, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
- 2004: Center for Book Arts, New York, NY 
- 2000: Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Australia,
- 1999: Unique Beyond Imagining, miniature book show, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- 1988: Retrospetcive, Minnesota Center for Book Arts, Minneapolis, MN.
- 1979: Stuart Wilbur Gallery, Chicago IL.
- 1978: Columbia College, Chicago IL.
- 1977: Vision Gallery, Boston, MA.
- 1976: Lichtropfen, Agen, West Germany. Light Gallery, New York, NY. Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, NY.
- 1975: Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY.
- 1974: Barat College. Light Gallery, New York, NY. University of Illinois, Champaign/Urbana, IL.
- 1973: Gallerie Civica D’Arte Moderna, Turin, Italy.
- 1971: Light Gallery, New York, NY.
- 1970: International Museum of Photography, George Eastman House, Rochester, NY. Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, NY.
- 1968: Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Bibliothèque Nationale, Paris, France
- Carnegie Mellon University Library, Pittsburgh, PA
- Center for Creative Photography, University of Arizona
- Cranbrook Academy of Art Library, Bloomfield Hills, MI
- Fogg Museum, Harvard University
- Galleria Civica D’Arte Moderna, Turin
- International Museum of Photography at the George Eastman House, Rochester, NY
- Istvan Kiraly Muzeum, Szekasfechevar, Budapest, Hungary
- Kiyosato Museum of Photographic Arts, Tokyo, via the Robert Heinecken collection, Tokyo, Japan
- Library of Congress, The Rosenwald Collection, Washington, DC
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston Library, Boston, MA
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Museum of Geelong, Victoria, Australia
- Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY
- National Gallery of Canada
- Photographic Archives, Louisville KY
- Rhode Island School of Design Library, Providence, RI
- Richard F. Brush Art Gallery & Permanent Collection, St. Lawrence University
- Ryerson Institute, Toronto, Canada
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- Sterling Memorial Library, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London
- Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester NY
- Wellesley Museum, Wellesley MA
- Wooster Museum, Wooster MA
- 2002: Book 202, Smith's Sewing Single Sheets, Non-Adhesive Binding, Volume IV, published by keith smith BOOKS
- 2001: Book 211, Quick Leather Bindings, Non-Adhesive Binding, Volume V, published by keith smith BOOKS
- 2000: Book 200, 200 Books, An Annotated Bibliography, published by keith smith BOOKS, First Edition, May 2000.
- 1998: Book 181, Bookbinding for Book Artists, published by keith smith BOOKS, First Edition, July. The book is co-authored by Keith Smith and Fred A. Jordan
- 1995: Book 170, Exposed Spine Sewings, Non-Adhesive Binding, Volume III, published by keith smith BOOKS
- 1995: Book 169, 1– 2– & 3–Section Sewings, Non-Adhesive Binding, Volume II, published by keith smith BOOKS
- 1991: Book 128, Books without Paste or Glue, Non-Adhesive Binding, Volume I, Keith Smith, The Sigma Foundation, Inc. Second Edition, 1992; The Revised & Expanded Edition, 1999
- 1989: Book 120 Text in the Book Format, Keith Smith, The Sigma Foundation, Inc. Second edition 1995; The Expanded Third Edition, 2004 
- 1984: Book 95, Structure of the Visual Book, Keith Smith, self-published. The Revised and Expanded Edition, 1992; The Korean translation, published by The Open Books Co., 35-23 Tongyee-dong, Jongno-ku, Seoul, Korea
- "Books As Aesthetic Objects: The Collection: Jaffe Center for Book Arts". Library.fau.edu. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Bruce Silverstein Gallery - Keith Smith, 2013". Brucesilverstein.com. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- "Bruce Silverstein Gallery - Keith Smith: Book by Book, 2011". Brucesilverstein.com. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Lecture, reception for Keith Smith book exhibition, Pages as Stages". Rochester.edu. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "The Center for Book Arts ~ Keith Smith - Books Since 2000". Centerforbookarts.org. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "PROJECTS: SONIA LANDY SHERIDAN AND KEITH SMITH". The Museum of Modern Art. 1974-06-05. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- Smith, Keith A. (2001), Smith's sewing single sheets, Keith Smith Books, ISBN 978-0-9637682-8-5
- Smith, Keith A. (2000), Two hundred books by Keith Smith: book number 200, an anecdotal bibliography, Keith Smith Books, ISBN 978-0-9637682-7-8
- Smith, Keith A.; Jordan, Fred A. (1998), Sewn and pasted cloth or leather bookbinding for book artists requiring no special tools or equipment, Keith Smith Books, ISBN 978-0-9637682-5-4
- Smith, Keith A. (1992), Non-adhesive binding, Volume 1 (2 ed.), Sigma Foundation, ISBN 978-0-927159-04-3
- Smith, Keith A. (2004), Text in the book format (3 ed.), Keith Smith Books, ISBN 978-0-9740764-1-6
- Smith, Keith A. (1984), Structure of the visual book, Visual Studies Workshop Press, ISBN 978-0-89822-036-0