|Sir Keith Burnett|
Keith Burnett, December 2008
|Institutions||University of Sheffield
University of Oxford
University of Colorado
|Alma mater||University of Oxford (BA, DPhil)|
Burnett was born in Llwynypia in the Rhondda Valley. He studied Physics at Jesus College, Oxford obtaining a BA degree in 1972 then a DPhil degree in 1979. He held academic positions in Physics at the University of Colorado, Imperial College and the University of Oxford before taking up his present post on 1 October 2007. During his time at the University of Oxford he was appointed Chairman of Physics and then Head of the Division of Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences. His research includes the study of Bose–Einstein condensates.
According to the Times Higher Education Supplement Burnett's salary is £374,000. He accepted a £105,000 pay rise in 2012-13 while other staff were offered a one percent, below inflation pay rise, and the university set up a subsidiary company to cut catering staff costs to "hospitality industry norms".
On 1 November 2010 he was appointed as a non-executive director of the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority, a position he was due to hold until October 2013. However,as of Feb 2014, he is still listed on the management.
He is also currently a member of the United Kingdom government's Council for Science and Technology. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2001 and was appointed to the Advisory Council of Infrastructure UK in 2012 to advise the UK treasury on investments including on energy, transport, waste, flood, science, water and telecoms.
He is married and has two children. His interests include the Chinese language and culture.
- University of Sheffield press release 19 Dec 2006
- www.sheffield.ac.uk Biography: Professor Keith Burnet
- Times Higher Education (23 January 2014) £105,000 rise for head as staff denied living wage
- www.ucea.ac.uk UCEA announces new chair of board
- www.uk-atomic-energy.org.uk UKAEA Corporate Goverance
- www.bis.gov.uk/cst/ UK Council for Science and Technology - Members
- UK Atomic Energy Authority Management
- The Times (online) 31 December 2003
- "Knights Bachelor". Cabinet Office. 29 December 2012. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 29 December 2012.
|Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sheffield