Keith County, Nebraska
|Keith County, Nebraska|
Keith County Courthouse in Ogallala
Location in the state of Nebraska
Nebraska's location in the U.S.
|• Total||1,110 sq mi (2,875 km2)|
|• Land||1,061 sq mi (2,748 km2)|
|• Water||49 sq mi (127 km2), 4.37%|
|• Density||8/sq mi (3/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
In the Nebraska license plate system, Keith County is represented by the prefix 68 (it had the sixty-eighth-largest number of vehicles registered in the county when the license plate system was established in 1922).
Keith County was formed in 1873. Sources differ on the Keith after whom it was named: either M. C. Keith of North Platte, whose grandson Keith Neville became Nebraska's 18th governor in 1917; or John Keith, also of North Platte.
- Arthur County, Nebraska - north
- McPherson County, Nebraska - northeast
- Lincoln County, Nebraska - east
- Perkins County, Nebraska - south
- Deuel County, Nebraska - west
- Garden County, Nebraska - northwest
- Sedgwick County, Colorado -southwest
||Garden County||Arthur County||McPherson County|
|Deuel County||Lincoln County|
|Sedgwick County, Colorado||Perkins County|
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,875 people, 3,707 households, and 2,535 families residing in the county. The population density was 8 people per square mile (3/km²). There were 5,178 housing units at an average density of 5 per square mile (2/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.75% White, 0.08% Black or African American, 0.71% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 1.49% from other races, and 0.80% from two or more races. 4.23% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,707 households out of which 30.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.60% were married couples living together, 7.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.60% were non-families. 27.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.30% under the age of 18, 5.70% from 18 to 24, 25.30% from 25 to 44, 25.40% from 45 to 64, and 18.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 96.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,325, and the median income for a family was $39,118. Males had a median income of $26,523 versus $19,024 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,421. About 6.60% of families and 9.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.10% of those under age 18 and 8.20% of those age 65 or over.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Fitzpatrick, Lilian Linder (1925). "Nebraska Place-Names". University of Nebraska Department of English. p. 84. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Governor Neville". Nebraska State Historical Society. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Fitzpatrick, Lilian Linder (1925). "Nebraska Place-Names". University of Nebraska Department of English. p. 84-85. Retrieved 2013-09-30.