|Member of the Florida House of Representatives
from the 69th district
|Preceded by||Ray Pilon|
November 30, 1956 |
|Alma mater||University of Louisville, Indiana University|
Keith Fitzgerald is also a political scientist specializing in American politics with a focus on institutions and public policy. He is the author of Face of the Nation: Immigration, the State, and the National Identity. Following a stint at Grinnell College, since 1994 Fitzgerald has been a professor of political science at the New College of Florida. He received his B.A. from the University of Louisville and his Ph.D. from Indiana University.
In December 2005, Keith Fitzgerald announced his candidacy for the Florida State House, running as a Democrat in District 69, which contains the city of Sarasota, Florida and part of Manatee county. Fitzgerald narrowly defeated Republican Laura Benson 51% to 49% in the November 2006 election.
2012 U.S. House campaign
As of August 3, 2012, Fitzgerald's campaign had $670,000 in the bank, compared to Buchanan's $1.4 million. Democratic Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and other House Democrats have supported Fitzgerald with at least $34,000 in campaign contributions.
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee reserved $2.5 million of ad time in the Tampa Bay media market, some or all of which may be used to help Fitzgerald. Meanwhile, Buchanan's campaign reserved $4 million in the same market. As of early September 2012, there has been no public announcement of an ad buy from Fitzgerald's campaign.
Fitzgerald won 46.4% of the vote, but failed to defeat Rep. Buchanan.
- Keith Fitzgerald for State House - District 69
- Chamlee, Virginia (October 6, 2011). "Keith Fitzgerald officially announces he’s challenging Vern Buchanan". The Florida Independent. Retrieved October 6, 2011.
- "Vern Buchanan poll: Buchanan 54%, Keith Fitzgerald 32%". Tampa Bay Times. 18 July 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Schorsch, Peter (5 September 2012). "New independent poll shows Vern Buchanan up twenty points over Keith Fitzgerald". Saint PetersBlog. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- Wallace, Jeremy (3 August 2012). "For third straight period, challenger Fitzgerald again outraises incumbent Buchanan". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Wallace, Jeremy (22 July 2012). "John Boehner and Nancy Pelosi give money to area congressional race". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Masferrer, Marc (18 April 2012). "Report: DCCC reserves $2.5 million in TV ads for Tampa, maybe to help Keith Fitzgerald (UPDATED)". Bradenton Herald Online. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Masferrrer, Marc (1 June 2012). "Rep. Vern Buchanan plans to spend $4 million on TV campaign ads". Bradenton Herald. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Florida House of Representatives - Rep. Keith Fitzgerald official FL House site
- Keith Fitzgerald for State House official campaign website
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission