|Prime Minister of Grenada|
20 February 2013
|Governor General||Carlyle Glean
Cécile La Grenade
|Preceded by||Tillman Thomas|
22 June 1995 – 9 July 2008
|Governor General||Daniel Williams|
|Preceded by||George Brizan|
|Succeeded by||Tillman Thomas|
|Born||Keith Claudius Mitchell
12 November 1946
Brizan, British Windward Islands (now Grenada)
|Political party||New National Party|
|Alma mater||University of the West Indies
Presentation Brothers College
Keith Claudius Mitchell (born 12 November 1946) is a Grenadian politician who has been Prime Minister of Grenada since 2013; previously he served as Prime Minister from 1995 to 2008. He is the longest serving Prime Minister Grenada has ever had, holding the office for just over 13 years. He is currently leader of the New National Party (NNP) and was Leader of the Opposition in Parliament from 2008 to 2013.
Education and personal life
Mitchell graduated from the University of the West Indies with a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics and chemistry in 1971. He a gained a master's degree from Howard University in 1975 and a doctorate in mathematics and statistics from American University in 1979.
In the December 1984 general election, he was elected to a seat in the House of Representatives from St. George North West constituency, and he has held the seat in each subsequent election. Mitchell was elected as leader of the NNP in January 1989, defeating Prime Minister Herbert Blaize. Blaize then dismissed Mitchell from his position as Minister of Works and Communications on 21 July 1989.
After the NNP was victorious in the general election held on 20 June 1995, winning eight out of 15 seats in the House of Representatives, Mitchell took office as Prime Minister, along with his Cabinet, on 22 June. Under Mitchell's leadership, the party won all 15 seats in the early election held in January 1999, and the NNP narrowly won a third term in power in the November 2003 election, reduced to a one seat parliamentary majority.
The New National Party was defeated in the general election held on 8 July 2008 by the National Democratic Congress (NDC), winning only four seats against 11 for the NDC. Mitchell himself was re-elected to his seat from St. George North West. NDC leader Tillman Thomas succeeded Mitchell as Prime Minister on 9 July. Mitchell said that the people voted for change and congratulated Thomas. Following the election, he continued as NNP leader and was sworn in as Leader of the Opposition on 16 July 2008.
- "Biography: Keith Claudius Mitchell". Government of Grenada. 9 October 2009. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- "New prime minister of Grenada sworn in". Caribbean Net News. 10 July 2008. Archived from the original on 31 July 2008. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- Political Parties of the World (6th edition, 2005), ed. Bogdan Szajkowski, page 265.
- "Jul 1989 - Grenada", Keesing's Record of World Events, volume 35, July 1989, Grenada, page 36,812.
- "Jun 1995 - New Grenada Cabinet", Keesing's Record of World Events, volume 41, June 1995, Grenada, page 40,592.
- Worme, George (10 July 2008). "Thomas wins by a landslide in Grenada". The Nation. Barbados. Archived from the original on 14 July 2008. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "A decisive victory: Let there be no doubt". grenadabroadcast.com. Archived from the original on 3 August 2008. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Mitchell is new Opposition Leader", Grenada Today, 26 July 2008.
- "Clean sweep", Jamaica Observer, 21 February 2013.
|Prime Minister of Grenada
|Prime Minister of Grenada