|Known for||Abstract Art|
|Notable work(s)||Morantarctica, Music when soft voices die, Elysium, Folk Music|
|Awards||Montana national art award, Premio alla Carriera, The Manifestation of the Spiritual in Art, Della Critica, Medaglia del Presidente della Repubblica|
Life and work
While initially academically trained in art, he broke away to follow his own path of expression. He now lives and works in Christchurch, New Zealand. His work has recently attracted international attention. Besides many exhibitions in his own country and New Zealand, he has exhibited in New York, Miami, Valencia, Beijing, Istanbul and Italy.
He exhibited with Trevisan International Art in Ferrara at the Castle Estense. Here his work won the award for ‘The Manifestation Of The Spirit Through Art’.
Morant was selected to exhibit at the Florence Biennale where 840 artists from 76 different countries competed for accolades. He was presented with the ‘Premio alla Carrierra’ –‘The Lorenzo Il Magnifico Award for ‘Lifetime Achievement in Art’.
Recently at the Palazzo della Bella in Vico del Garno, Italy he received the ‘Premio Internationale d’Arte award. Following this he was represented by his Italian dealer in Bologna at an exhibition called ‘Little Treasures’ and simultaneously held a solo show in New York, NY through Access Art NY.
In his statement on art Morant says: “My art is always a journey of discovery into the essence of being. It is an effort to externalise the truth of my own existence on as many levels as possible and communicate a greater awareness of the quality of life. It is an attempt to generate enquiry into the greater spheres of understanding which lie beyond conventionalised intellection. It is my wish that my own work, while initially seen only by the eye, will eventually be perceived by mind, and thus become conducive to some small expansion of human conscious awareness. Art is always an answer awaiting its question”.
- Premio San Valentino International art exhibition, (Taranto, Puglia) Southern Italy. First Prize. 'Medaglia del Presidente della Repubblica' (The President of the Republic's Medal).
- Exhibition: Trevisan International Art 'Traces of Memory', Estense Castle, Ferrara, Italy.
- Award: "Premio Ercole D'Este della Critica Award" (Critics Choice)
- Exhibition of International Art, 'San Valentino' Vico del Garno, Italy.
- Award: "Premio Internazionale"
- Biennale Internazionale Dell'Arte Contemporanea, Florence, Italy.
- Award:"Lorenzo il Magnifico, Premio alla Carriera" for 'Lifetime Achievement in Art'
- Exhibition: Trevisan International Art 'The Spirit In Art', Estense Castle, Ferrara, Italy.
- Award: "Manifestation Of The Spirit In Art"
- Montana Lindauer Art Award (11th), third place, New Zealand. Source: Herald (Gisborne, N.Z.), 1 May 1985, p1; Auckland star (Auckland, N.Z.), 01 May 1985, B7; New Zealand herald (Auckland, N.Z.), 2 May 1985, p 20
- 'Art Notes' (The Psychology of Creativity) published by World Art Media, New York Arts Magazine Vols 11-3/4, 11-5/6, 2006
- Interview with Yilmaz Zenger. NY Arts Magazine Vol 11-9/10 2006
- Music For Manhattan reviewed by Simone Cappa, NY Arts vol 1/2 2007
- Review 'Contemporary Hieroglyphics' by Jill Smith. NY Arts Magazine. 2008
- ‘Premiato a Ferrara e a Firenze’ Article in ‘Art Journal’. Italy. 2008