May 31, 1969 |
San Francisco, California
|Listed height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Listed weight||225 lb (102 kg)|
|High school||Birmingham (Los Angeles, California)|
|NBA draft||1991 / Undrafted|
|1991–1992||Los Angeles Lakers|
|1993–1994||Oklahoma City Cavalry (CBA)|
|1994||Fargo-Moorhead Fever (CBA)|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Keith Kensel Owens (born May 31, 1969) is an American former professional basketball player for the Los Angeles Lakers in the National Basketball Association. The forward played one season with the Lakers in the 1992–92 season. He played college basketball for four seasons for the UCLA Bruins from 1987 through 1991.
Owens was born in San Francisco, California. He was 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) and played center in high school at Birmingham High in Van Nuys, California. Owens was more concerned with his education than being able to play basketball. He rejected athletic scholarship offers from Cal Poly Pomona and Hawaii. He attended college at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) instead, where he made the basketball team in his first year in 1987 as a 6-foot-8-inch (2.03 m) walk-on under coach Walt Hazzard. However, Owens played so infrequently that year that he calculated his points and rebounds by the minute rather than by the game. By his sophomore year under new coach Jim Harrick, Owens earned a scholarship. He became an integral part of the team in his final two seasons. In his senior year, he was co-captain of the team and averaged 6.3 points and 5.3 rebounds a game and blocked 61 shots. Harrick called Owens "the best post defender we have—a real force for us."
He made the Lakers roster for the 1991–92 season after having to walk-on their Summer Pro League team. He was waived by the Lakers prior to the start of the following season in October 1992. He later played one season in the Continental Basketball Association in 1993–94, splitting the year between the Oklahoma City Cavalry and the Fargo-Moorhead Fever. He averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds per game that year.
- "Keith Owens ABA & NBA statistics". basketball-reference.com. Sports Reference. Retrieved November 17, 2011.
- Heisler, Mark (October 11, 1991). "So Far, They Can't Find a Way to Get Rid of Keith Owens". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on November 17, 2011.
- Dodds, Tracy (October 20, 1987). "Long Shot Is Missing for Bruins : With Miller Gone, UCLA Thinking Big". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on November 17, 2011.
- Murphy, Austin (November 25, 1991). "Put Me In, Coach". Sports Illustrated. Archived from the original on February 12, 2013.
- Heisler, Mark (October 31, 1991). "New Laker Keith Owens Still Beating the Odds". The Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on November 17, 2011.
- Herbert, Steven (July 21, 1991). "The Stars Come Out at Summer League : Basketball". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on November 17, 2011.
- Heisler, Mark (October 9, 1992). "New Day on the Beach Dawns for Lakers". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on November 17, 2011.
- 1994-95 Official CBA Guide and Register, page 327
- "UCLA 'Bruin Talk' Cable Television Show". uclabruins.com. CBS Interactive. Archived from the original on November 18, 2011.
- Mason, Jason (April 4, 2000). "Bruins Talking". The Daily Bruin. Archived from the original on November 18, 2011.