|Born||19 November 1922
|Died||5 December 1995
San Diego, California
|Fields||plate tectonics; paleomagnetism|
|Institutions||University of Cambridge, University of Manchester, Newcastle University, University of Alaska, Fairbanks|
|Alma mater||Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge, University of Manchester|
|Doctoral advisor||Patrick Blackett|
|Doctoral students||numerous: see body of article|
|Known for||reestablishing viability of the theory of continental drift; discoveries in planetary magnetism|
|Influenced||two generations of earth scientists|
|Notable awards||Fellow of the Royal Society
The Chree Medal and Prize (1969)
Vetlesen Prize (1970)
RAS Gold Medal (1984)
Stanley Keith Runcorn FRS (19 November 1922 – 5 December 1995) was a British physicist whose paleomagnetic reconstruction of the relative motions of Europe and America revived the theory of continental drift and was a major contribution to plate tectonics.
After a period in radar research during the World War II, he joined the Physics Department at the University of Manchester where he did research on aspects of the Earth's magnetic field, taking his Ph.D. under Patrick Blackett in 1949. This led to his interest in palaeomagnetism, the study of the magnetism of rocks, which he pursued first at the Geophysics Department at the University of Cambridge and later at Newcastle University, where he was appointed to the chair of Physics in 1956. At Newcastle Runcorn developed a strong research group in geophysics, and made substantial contributions to various fields, including convection in the Earth and Moon, the shape and magnetic fields of the Moon and planets, magnetohydrodynamics of the Earth's core, changes in the length of the day, polar wandering, continental drift and plate tectonics.
Runcorn received many honours, including Fellowship of the Royal Society in 1965, the Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) and the Fleming medal of the American Geophysical Union. He was also a member of the Pontifical Academy of Science. He served as the Sydney Chapman Endowed Chair in Physical Sciences at the University of Alaska from 1989 to 1995. After his retirement in 1988 he continued to be active in various lines of research until his untimely death in San Diego in 1995. In 2007 the RAS named an award – for the year's best PhD thesis in geophysics – the 'Keith Runcorn Prize' in his honour.
Circumstances of Death
Runcorn was murdered in his hotel room in San Diego during a lecture trip to the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Police found that he had been strangled and found evidence of injuries to the head. Paul Cain, a professional kick-boxer, was later convicted and sentenced to a term of at least 25 years. Prosecutors argued that Cain killed Runcorn after stealing his wallet and credit cards, having targeted him as an elderly gay man and therefore easy victim. Cain was tried three times in all. The first trial ended with a deadlocked jury; the second with a conviction that was overturned on appeal, on grounds that testimony from Cain's two previous wives as to his violent temper should not have been admitted in evidence.
||This section contains embedded lists that may be poorly defined, unverified or indiscriminate. (January 2015)|
- —; Chapman, S (1 October 1948). "The Radial Variation of the Earth's Magnetic Field". Proceedings of the Physical Society 61 (4): 373–382. Bibcode:1948PPS....61..373R. doi:10.1088/0959-5309/61/4/310.
- — (10 January 1948). "Variation of Geomagnetic Intensity with Depth". Nature 161 (4080): 52–52. Bibcode:1948Natur.161...52R. doi:10.1038/161052b0.
- —; Benson, A. C.; Moore, A. F. (27 November 1951). "Measurements of the Variation with Depth of the Main Geomagnetic Field". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 244 (878): 113–151. Bibcode:1951RSPTA.244..113R. doi:10.1098/rsta.1951.0017.
- — (April 1955). "Rock magnetism—Geophysical aspects". Advances in Physics 4 (14): 244–291. Bibcode:1955AdPhy...4..244R. doi:10.1080/00018735500101214.
- Collinson, D. W.; Creer, K. M.; Irving, E.; Runcorn, S. K. (29 August 1957). "The Measurement of the Permanent Magnetization of Rocks". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 250 (974): 73–82. Bibcode:1957RSPTA.250...73C. doi:10.1098/rsta.1957.0012.
- Irving, E.; Runcorn, S. K. (29 August 1957). "Analysis of the Palaeomagnetism of the Torridonian Sandstone Series of North-West Scotland. I". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 250 (974): 83–99. Bibcode:1957RSPTA.250...83I. doi:10.1098/rsta.1957.0013.
- Creer, K. M.; E. Irving; A. E. M. Nairn; S. K. Runcorn (1958). "Palaeomagnetic results from different continents and their relation to the problem of continental drift". Annales Geophysique 14: 492–501.
- Collinson, D. W.; S. K. Runcorn (1960). "Polar wandering and continental drift - evidence from paleomagnetic observations in the United States". Geological Society of America Bulletin 71 (7): 915–958. Bibcode:1960GSAB...71..915C. doi:10.1130/0016-7606(1960)71[915:PWACDE]2.0.CO;2.
- Opdyke, N. D.; Runcorn, S. K. (1960). "Wind direction in the western United States in the late Paleozoic". Geological Society of America Bulletin 71 (7): 959. Bibcode:1960GSAB...71..959O. doi:10.1130/0016-7606(1960)71[959:WDITWU]2.0.CO;2.
- — (15 October 1964). "Satellite gravity measurements and a laminar viscous flow model of the Earth's mantle". Journal of Geophysical Research 69 (20): 4389–4394. Bibcode:1964JGR....69.4389R. doi:10.1029/JZ069i020p04389.
- — (28 November 1964). "Changes in the Earth's Moment of Inertia". Nature 204 (4961): 823–825. Bibcode:1964Natur.204..823R. doi:10.1038/204823a0.
- — (26 January 2010). "Flow in the mantle inferred from the Low Degree harmonics of the geopotential". Geophysical Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society 14 (1-4): 375–384. doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.1967.tb06253.x.
- — (7 February 1967). "Convection in the Moon and the existence of a lunar core". Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 296 (1446): 270–284. Bibcode:1967RSPSA.296..270R. doi:10.1098/rspa.1967.0021.
- — (27 February 1975). "An ancient lunar magnetic dipole field". Nature 253 (5494): 701–703. Bibcode:1975Natur.253..701R. doi:10.1038/253701a0.
- — (August 1975). "On the interpretation of lunar magnetism". Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 10 (4): 327–335. Bibcode:1975PEPI...10..327R. doi:10.1016/0031-9201(75)90059-X.
- —; Lambeck, K.; Winch, D. E. (20 August 1982). "The role of the core in irregular fluctuations of the Earth's rotation and the excitation of the Chandler wobble". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 306 (1492): 261–270. Bibcode:1982RSPTA.306..261R. doi:10.1098/rsta.1982.0086.
- — (September 1955). "The Earth's Magnetism". Scientific American 193 (3): 152–162. doi:10.1038/scientificamerican0955-152.
- — (October 1966). "Corals as paleontological clocks". Scientific American 215 (4): 26–33. doi:10.1038/scientificamerican1066-26.
- — (December 1987). "The Moon's ancient magnetism". Scientific American 257 (6): 60–68. Bibcode:1987SciAm.257...60R. doi:10.1038/scientificamerican1287-60.
- Ahrens, L. H.; Rankama, K.; Runcorn, S. K., eds. (1956). Physics and Chemistry of the Earth. Pergamon Press.
- Runcorn, S. K., ed. (31 December 1960). Methods and Techniques in Geophysics: v. 1. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0470745144.
- Continental drift (1962), S.K. Runcorn.
- Runcorn, S. K., ed. (1 January 1966). Methods and Techniques in Geophysics: v. 2. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0470745182.
- International dictionary of geophysics : seismology, geomagnetism, aeronomy, oceanography, geodesy, gravity, marine geophysics, meteorology, the earth as a planet and its evolution (1967), ed.
- Runcorn, S. K., ed. (1 January 1968). Mantles of the Earth and Terrestrial Planets. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0470745212.
- Methods in palaeomagnetism: Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Study Institute on Palaeomagnetic Methods (1967), edited by D.W. Collinson, K.M. Creer, S.K. Runcorn
- Runcorn, S. K., ed. (1970). Palaeogeophysics. London: Academic Press. ISBN 978-0126027501.
- Earth Sciences (1971), S.K. Runcorn
- Implications of continental drift to the earth sciences (1973) NATO Advanced Study Institute, D.H. Tarling and S.K. Runcorn
- Mechanisms of continental drift and plate tectonics (1980) edited by P. A. Davies and S. K. Runcorn
- Magnetism, planetary rotation, and convection in the solar system : retrospect and prospect : in honour of Prof. S.K. Runcorn (1985) edited by W. O'Reilly, S. K. Runcorn
- Runcorn, S. K., ed. (1988). The Physics of the planets : their origin, evolution and structure (Fac-sim ed.). Chichester: Wiley. ISBN 9780471916215.
- Collinson, D. W. (2002). "Stanley Keith Runcorn. 19 November 1922 - 5 December 1995". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 48: 391–310. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2002.0023. JSTOR 3650268.
- Powell, T.E. and Harper, P. "Outline of the Career of Stanley Keith Runcorn." Catalogue of the papers and correspondence of Stanley Keith Runcorn FRS (1922-1995), geophysicist , College Archives, Imperial College London, 2002
- Elliott, David. "Keith Runcorn honoured". Royal Astronomical Society. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Walter Sullivan, "Leading Expert in Geophysics Is Found Slain in Hotel Room", New York Times, (7 December 1995)
- "Kick-boxer jailed for death of geophysicist," Nature, v.389, p.657 (16 October 1997)
- Ben Fox, "Man claims childhood abuse led him to murder renowned UAF scientist," Peninsula Clarion (28 February 2000)
- Gillispie, Charles Coulston, ed. (2008). "Runcorn, Stanley Keith". Complete dictionary of scientific biography 24. Detroit, Mich.: Charles Scribner's Sons. pp. 298–302. ISBN 978-0-684-31559-1.
- Hide, Raymond. "Keith Runcorn". Awards & Medals. European Geosciences Union. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- Powell, Timothy E.; Thibeaud, Caroline, eds. (2002). Catalogue of the papers and correspondence of Stanley Keith Runcorn FRS (1922-1995), geophysicist (PDF) 1. NCUACS catalogue no. 104/3/02. College Archives, Imperial College London.
- Powell, Timothy E.; Thibeaud, Caroline, eds. (2002). Catalogue of the papers and correspondence of Stanley Keith Runcorn FRS (1922-1995), geophysicist (PDF) 2. NCUACS catalogue no. 104/3/02. College Archives, Imperial College London.
- Powell, Timothy E.; Thibeaud, Caroline, eds. (2002). Catalogue of the papers and correspondence of Stanley Keith Runcorn FRS (1922-1995), geophysicist (PDF) 3. NCUACS catalogue no. 104/3/02. College Archives, Imperial College London.
- "Biography: Stanley Keith Runcorn (1922-1955)". The Vetlesen Prize. Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory. 2004. Retrieved 21 October 2011.