Keiyo District (also known as Elgeyo district or Elgeiyo) is an administrative district in the Rift Valley Province of Kenya. The district was formed in 1994, when Elgeyo/Marakwet-District was split into two, the other half is Marakwet District of today. Keiyo District has a population of 143.865 . Its capital is located in the Iten/Tambach town.
Local people are mostly of the Keiyo Tribe. Some famous Kenyan runners come from the district, including Saif Saaeed Shaheen (born Stephen Cherono) and Vivian Cheruiyot. The area is used by local and foreign athletes for high-altitude training.
Keiyo District has two local authorities:
- Iten/Tambach town (population: 31,813; urban population: 3,968)
- Keiyo county council (population: 112,052; urban population: 1,868)
|* 1999 census. Sources: , ,|
The district has two constituencies:
- Kaptarakwa, a village in the Chapkorio division of Keiyo District
- Kimwarer, a town in the Soy Division of Keiyo district
- The East African, September 15, 2008: Flourspar enters European market despite Chinese competition (page 2)
- Kerio Valley Development Authority: Mineral Resources Exploration