|Headquarters||Chesterfield, Missouri, U.S.|
|Key people||Lynn Shanahan, CEO
Joe Lombardi , CFO
Linda Kinder, CIO
Keith Grypp, General Counsel
Arthur Gordon, CEO Western Region
|Owner(s)||Sun Capital Partners|
Kellwood Company designs, manufactures, and markets fashion brands including Rebecca Taylor, Sag Harbor, Briggs NY, Jolt, and My Michelle as well as licensed brands XOXO, David Meister and Sam Edelman Apparel. Kellwood operates retail stores and e-commerce sites for Vince and Rebecca Taylor, as well as the e-commerce store for David Meister.
In 1961, fifteen independent suppliers of soft goods to Sears, Roebuck and Co. merged to form Kellwood Company. With its formation, the new company had 22 plants in 10 states and 7,000 employees. The original product lines included a wide variety of apparel, camping equipment and bedding.
Taking its name from two former Sears’ executives, Charles H. Kellstadt and Robert E. Wood, The first officers included Maurice Perlstein, president and treasurer; Fred W. Wenzel, vice president; Stanley M. Guthunz, vice president; Ovide de St. Aubin, Jr., vice president; and Howard Michaelson, Jr., secretary.
The company experienced its greatest success under the leadership of William John McKenna, who served as COO and later CEO from 1982 to 1996. For Kellwood Company, McKenna acquired Smart Shirts, Cape Cod-Cricket Lane, American Recreation Products Ltd., Crowntuft Manufacturing Corporation, Slumberjack Inc., D Corporation Inc., California Ivy, Inc., A.J. Brandon, Inc., Parsons Place Apparel (now Sag Harbor), E Z Sportswear (now Melrose), En Chant'e Inc. (now ENC), Goodman Knitting Company, Inc., Dotti and Sierra Designs, and launched a Kathie Lee Gifford clothing label. Also under Mr. McKenna's term, Kellwood's sales surpassed $1 billion.
The 15 original companies were:
- Ahoskie Manufacturing Co.
- Albert of Arizona
- Biltmore Manufacturing Co.
- Calhoun Garment Co.
- Garver Manufacturing Co.
- Greenfield Manufacturing Co.
- Hawthorn Company
- McComb Manufacturing Co.
- Monticello Manufacturing Co.
- Ottenheimer Bros. Manufacturing Co.
- Oxford Manufacturing Co.
- Rutherford Garment Co.
- Siler City Manufacturing Co.
- Southern Foundations
- Spencer Manufacturing Co.
Brands owned by Kellwood Company
- David Meister
- Sag Harbor
- My Michelle
- Briggs NY
- Rebecca Taylor (as of January 2011)
- Through American Recreation Products
- "Kellwood Company - Company History". Fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Profile Kellwood". Apparelsearch.com. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- International Directory of Company Histories, Vol. 8. St. James Press, 1994
- "McDermott - Press Releases - Kellwood Company Acquired by Sun Capital Securities Group". Mwe.com. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Kellwood Company: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- Business Wire (2010-01-11). "Kellwood Acquires ISIS". Business Wire. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Kellwood Acquires Rebecca Taylor - ST. LOUIS, Jan. 5, 2011 /PRNewswire/". Missouri: Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Kellwood Acquires Zobha - ST. LOUIS, July 27, 2011 /PRNewswire/". Missouri, California: Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "American Recreation Products". Sun Portfolio. Sun Capital Partners, Inc. Retrieved 23 July 2011.