Kelly's Roast Beef
|Kelly's Roast Beef|
Kelly's location at Revere Beach.
|Slogan||Creator of the Original Roast Beef Sandwich|
|Street address||410 Revere Beach Boulevard|
Kelly's Roast Beef was founded in 1951 in the city of Revere, Massachusetts on Revere Beach shoreline by two partners, Frank V. McCarthy and Raymond Carey. Neither partner wanted to be the namesake of the restaurant, so they decided to name it after a mutual friend, Thomas Kelly, a florist from Dorchester.
The chain's menu consists primarily of sandwiches, seafood and shellfish, as well as its signature roast beef. The restaurant features a drive-thru at every location except at Revere Beach. In order to compete with fast food giants like McDonald's and Burger King, the company added chicken fingers and french fries to their menu.
In spite of its name, Kelly's Roast Beef, is also noted for its lobster roll, with frequent mentions on reader contributor websites like Yelp and Chowhound, and placings on top ten lists of the area's best.
- "Frank McCarthy, food store owner; in Revere, aided many in need; 66", Boston Globe, 30 September 1982
- Kennedy, Louise, "At Kelly's, roast beef sandwiches rule", The Boston Globe, May 18, 2011
- Cf. "Kelly's History", company website
- "Kelly's Roast Beef". Yelp.com. Retrieved August 23, 2012.
- "Lobster roll at Kelly's -- v good value". chowhound.com. Retrieved August 23, 2012.
- "New England's Best: Lobster Roll". WHDH TV7 News. August 22, 2003.
- "Boston, Clam Roll-Episode AD1B03". Food Network. Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- Kelly's locations
|This restaurant-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|