Kem at the 2010 Soul Train Music Awards
|Birth name||Kem Owens|
July 23, 1969 |
|Origin||Detroit, Michigan, U.S.|
|Genres||R&B, soul, jazz, neo soul|
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer|
He did not overcome these issues until he turned to spirituality and music, as he has said, "My career didn't take off until I connected with my spirituality. That's why I take time on stage and on the album to administer spirituality to people. That's one of the things that I am most proud of." Kem is also very well received by older listeners of R&B/Soul for his classy sound and not incorporating elements of Hip-hop music. He has two daughters, Troi and Laylah.
He wrote, produced, and financed his self-released debut album, Kemistry, with his American Express and singing top 40 cover tunes in a wedding band and waiting tables.
He was later signed by Motown Records in November 2001, who re-released the album on February 25, 2003, and sold more than 500,000 copies nationwide. The album's first single, "Love Calls", became a hit at urban adult contemporary and smooth jazz radio, and USA Today pegged it early on as a "Motown classic." His debut went gold-plus.
He followed his debut release with a second album, Album II, released May 17, 2005 and sold more than 500,000 copies nationwide. It included the hit single "I Can't Stop Loving You", a # 1 at urban adult contemporary radio, and the song "You Might Win" featuring Stevie Wonder.
In 2013, he was featured on the second singles "My Favorite Thing", Kem wrote and produced this song. Vocal With American Recording Artist Ronald Isley on his second solo album, This Song Is For You.
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|2010||Intimacy: Album III
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions|
|2012||What Christmas Means
|2005||"I Can't Stop Loving You"||84||20||Album II|
|"Find Your Way (Back in My Life)"||—||37|
|2010||"Why Would You Stay"||102||17||Intimacy: Album III|
|"Share My Life"||—||25|
|2011||"If It's Love"
(featuring Maurissa Rose)
|2012||"You're On My Mind"||—||27|
|2013||"My Favorite Thing"
(Ronald Isley featuring KEM)
|—||—||This Song Is For You|
Awards and nominations
- 2005 Billboard Music Award win for Top Adult R&B Single of the Year: "I Can't Stop Loving You"
- 2005 Billboard Music Award nomination for Top Adult R&B Artist of the Year (lost to Fantasia).
- 2011 53rd Grammy Awards Best R&B Male Performance (Nomination)
- 2011 53rd Grammy Awards Best R&B Song "Why Would You Stay" (Nomination)
- http://www.musicbykem.com/about Kem Bio
- "Ronald Isley, 'My Favorite Thing': Exclusive Song Premiere". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. July 12, 2013.
- "Kem > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums". allmusic.
- "Gold & Platinum - Kem". RIAA. Retrieved October 28, 2010.