Ken Jones (police officer)
|Native name||Kenneth Lloyd "Ken" Jones|
|Alma mater||UCLA, University of Sheffield|
|Awards||Queen's Police Medal (2000)
Knighted for CT work (2009)
|Years of service||1971 - 2011|
|Other work||Defence and Security Advisor at the British Embassy, Washington DC, USA from 2013 - 2014|
Sir Kenneth Lloyd "Ken" Jones QPM is a British former police officer. He was a Deputy Commissioner of Victoria Police in Australia,  former President of Association of Chief Police Officers for England, Wales and Northern Ireland in the United Kingdom and Senior Investigator of Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) of Hong Kong. Sir Ken Jones is a former President of Association of Chief Police Officers and presently defence & security advisor at the British Embassy in Washington DC. He was awarded the Queen’s Police Medal in 2000 and was knighted for services to policing in 2009.
Early life & education
With South Yorkshire Police, Jones served in a number of cities including Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster gaining experience with community beat duties, specialist detective work and the use of firearms. Whilst there he received three Chief Constable's Commendations. He has commanded both rural and urban divisions. He gained experience abroad working as an anti corruption investigator in Hong Kong and as an election monitor in Zimbabwe. he visited the West Coast of the USA to study the growth of private policing.
Sir Ken has also served in Africa (Zimbabwe-Rhodesia), the United States (as a Fulbright Scholar at UCLA in 1996) and Hong Kong (in the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC)). He was appointed Assistant Chief Constable of the Avon and Somerset Constabulary in 1997.
Chief constable in Sussex
President of ACPO
Deputy Commissioner of Victoria Police
- World Regional Chair of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
- Chief Constable - Sussex Police.
- Chief Constable and President - Association of Chief Police Officers England, Wales, Northern Ireland.
- Deputy Commissioner ( Crime ) - Victoria Police, Victoria, Australia.
- Chair of the Sussex Criminal Justice Board.
- Chair and Member of the ACPO’s Terrorism & Allied Matters (TAM), London.
- Board Member of National Policing Improvement Agency (NPIA).
- Board Member of National Policing Board (NPB).
- Board Member of the National Criminal Justice Board.
- Board Member ( and occasional chair ) of HMIC’s Senior Appointment’s Panel.
- Board Member (represented UK) on IACP in USA ( as well as World Regional Chair ) .
- Defence & Security Advisor - British Embassy, Washington DC.
- Senior Investigator at Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) Hong Kong.
Awards & accolades
During the time Sir Ken Jones served Victoria Police Force he became the subject of death threats which came to public light in December 2010. This signalled the start of the complicated relationship at the top of Victoria Police concerning the integrity of the presentation of crime statistics to the public between Jones and Overland. Concerns have been raised about Overland's actions as there is an ongoing investigation into allegations of Overland's own conduct with the former Brumby government, in particular the release of incomplete favorable crime statistics prior to the 2010 election. Jones had objected to this politicisation of policing. Jones was reportedly the subject of an investigation by the Office of Police Integrity requested by Overland, over Overland's suspicions that he helped media expose the cherry-picked crime statistics. However these reports were found to be untrue and harmful to Sir Ken Jones' career in a report published by the Ombudsman. IBAC Press release, para 5 : "Mr Kellam’s review concluded that the evidence available to OPI and set out in OPI’s final investigation report to the Ombudsman did not support an allegation that Sir Ken Jones QPM had engaged in serious misconduct by leaking or facilitating leaking to the media of confidential police information". This final report cleared Jones of any wrongdoing during his time at Victoria Police Force.
- "English bobby Ken Jones appointed one of Victoria's new Deputy Commisioners". The Australian. 25 May 2009. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Brown promises more bobbies on beat". Metro (British newspaper). 17 July 2008. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Munro, Peter (8 May 2011). "He rates so well: cops love him, the public like him". The Sunday Age.
- "Police boss receives knighthood". BBC News (BBC). 31 December 2008. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "ACPO appoints next President". Association of Chief Police Officers. 7 September 2005. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "New chief appointed to Sussex Police". BBC News (BBC). 2 November 2001. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "News in Brief - Chief Constable Grabs Shoplifter". The Telegraph. 5 November 2004. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "Sir Hugh Orde elected ACPO President". Police Service of Northern Ireland. 16 April 2009. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- Barrowclough, Anne (26 May 2009). "ACPO chief Sir Ken Jones gets top role in Australian policing". TimesOnline (The Times). Retrieved 5 March 2010.(subscription required)
- New Deputy Commissioners a boost for Victoria Police | Victorian Government website 26 May 2009. Retrieved 8 March 2013
- Top cop issued with gun after credible threats ABC News, 15 December 2010
- "Deputy Commissioner Sir Ken Jones receiving death threats". News.com.au. 15 December 2010. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- John Brumby pushed for positive spin before election Herald Sun, 4 May 2011
- Police Association angered by Sir Ken's removal ABC News, 7 May 2011
- Sir Ken Jones a man of ‘integrity': Bill Tilley Herald Sun, 12 June 2011
- "Former top cop Simon overland harmed career of Sir Ken Jones Ombudsman finds". Herald Sun. 21 June 2013. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
-  IBAC, 19 February 2014
- Johnston, Matt; Ainsworth, Michelle (19 February 2014). "Ex-Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Sir Ken Jones cleared of claims he leaked information to damage then Commissioner Simon Overland". Herald Sun. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
-  The Australian, 20 February 2014
- Sir Ken Jones QPM ACPO President National Policing Improvement Agency
|Chief Constable of Sussex Police
|Deputy Commissioner (Crime)
for Victoria Police