Ken Jones (police officer)
Sir Kenneth Lloyd "Ken" Jones, QPM is a British former police officer. He was a Deputy Commissioner of Victoria Police in Australia and a former President of Association of Chief Police Officers for England, Wales and Northern Ireland in the United Kingdom.
With South Yorkshire Police, Jones served in a number of cities including Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster gaining experience with community beat duties, specialist detective work and the use of firearms. Whilst there he received three Chief Constable's Commendations. He has commanded both rural and urban divisions. He gained experience abroad working as an anti corruption investigator in Hong Kong and as an election monitor in Zimbabwe. he visited the West Coast of the USA to study the growth of private policing.
Sir Ken has also served in Africa (Zimbabwe-Rhodesia), the United States (as a Fulbright Scholar at UCLA in 1996) and Hong Kong (in the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC)). He has a BA (Hons) and an MBA both from the University of Sheffield.
He was appointed Assistant Chief Constable of the Avon and Somerset Constabulary in 1997. He subsequently received the Queen's Police Medal in 2001 and was created a knight in the 2009 New Year honours list.
On 25 May 2009 it was announced that he had been appointed as the Deputy Commissioner (Crime) for Victoria Police in Australia. He assumed the duties of this role on 1 July 2009. In December 2010, it was revealed that Jones had received a number of death threats, and had been issued with a Glock pistol for protection.
In May 2011, Jones announced his intention to resign in August 2011; public reaction has been mixed with members of the public supporting (including on Facebook) the notion of Jones replacing Simon Overland to become Victoria's next Police Commissioner. On 6 May 2011, Overland directed Sir Ken to take leave from the police force effective immediately.
During the time Sir Ken Jones served Victoria Police Force he became the subject of death threats which came to public light in December 2010  This signalled the start of the complicated relationship at the top of Victoria Police concerning the integrity of the presentation of crime statistics to the public between Jones and Overland. Concerns have been raised about Overland's actions as there is an ongoing investigation into allegations of Overland's own conduct with the former Brumby government, in particular the release of incomplete favorable crime statistics prior to the 2010 election. Jones had objected to this politicisation of policing. Jones was reportedly the subject of an investigation by the Office of Police Integrity requested by Overland, over Overland's suspicions that he helped media expose the cherry-picked crime statistics. However these reports were found to be untrue and harmful to Sir Ken Jones' career in a report published by the Ombudsman. IBAC Press release, para 5 : " Mr Kellam’s review concluded that the evidence available to OPI and set out in OPI’s final investigation report to the Ombudsman did not support an allegation that Sir Ken Jones QPM had engaged in serious misconduct by leaking or facilitating leaking to the media of confidential police information." This final report cleared Jones of any wrongdoing during his time at Victoria Police Force
- Ken Jones appointed one of Victoria's new Deputy Commissioners | The Australian newspaper 25 May 2009. Retrieved 8 March 2013
- "ACPO appoints next President". Association of Chief Police Officers. 7 September 2005. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "New chief appointed to Sussex Police". BBC News (BBC). 2 November 2001. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "Police boss receives knighthood". BBC News (BBC). 31 December 2008. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "News in Brief - Chief Constable Grabs Shoplifter". The Telegraph. 5 November 2004. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
-  PSNI, 16 April 2009
- Barrowclough, Anne (26 May 2009). "ACPO chief Sir Ken Jones gets top role in Australian policing". TimesOnline (The Times). Retrieved 5 March 2010.(subscription required)
- New Deputy Commissioners a boost for Victoria Police | Victorian Government website 26 May 2009. Retrieved 8 March 2013
- Top cop issued with gun after credible threats ABC News, 15 December 2010
- Make Sir Ken Jones Victoria's next Police Commissioner Facebook
- No top cop job deal, says Sir Ken Jones Herald Sun, 26 April 2011
- Simon Overland vows to stay as Victoria's chief police commissioner amid crisis Herald Sun, 8 May 2011
-  News.Com.Au, 15 December 2010
- John Brumby pushed for positive spin before election Herald Sun, 4 May 2011
- Police Association angered by Sir Ken's removal ABC News, 7 May 2011
- Sir Ken Jones a man of ‘integrity': Bill Tilley Herald Sun, 12 June 2011
-  Herald Sun, 21 June 2013
-  IBAC, 19 February 2014
-  Herald Sun, 20 February 2014
-  The Australian, 20 February 2014
- Sir Ken Jones QPM ACPO President National Policing Improvement Agency
|Chief Constable of Sussex Police
|Deputy Commissioner (Crime)
for Victoria Police