|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008)|
|Elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The river Luna (a branch of Mahanadi) is flowing out side of Kendrapara district. The other rivers of Kendrapara are Karandia, Gobari, Brahamani, Birupa, Kani, Baitarani, Kharasrota, Paika, Chitrotpala & Hansua . This district has 9 blocks named as Aul, Derabish, Garadpur, Mahakalapada, Marshaghai, Kendrapara, Rajanagar, Rajkanika, Pattamundai.
Kendrapara is 58 km from Cuttack. To reach Kendrapara one can go via Cuttack(Jagatpur)-Salipur state high way or on the National Highway No.5 and 5 A, crossing at Chandikhol Via Chhata towards Paradip. Kendrapara is just two and half hour drive from Bhubaneswar Airport on the National Highway 5 and 5 A.The Nearest Railway station is at Cuttack which is 54 kilometre from Kendrapara town.chhoti is 11 kilometre from kendrapara town.
As of the 2011 Indian census, Kendrapara district has a population of 1,439,891, roughly equal to the nation of Swaziland or the US state of Hawaii. This gives it a ranking of 344th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 545 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,410 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 10.59%. Kendrapara has a sex ratio of 1006 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 85.93%. The mother tongue of most of the people here is Oriya; there is a sizable number of Bangla and Urdu speaking people. Hindi is also widely understood.
Hindus form the dominant majority of the population. There is a substantial Muslim minority.
The Baladevjew Temple is located in Kendrapara. A Car Festival or Rath Yatra is held in the month of Ashadha(June/July) every year, the car of Lord Baladevjew is known as Brahma Taladhwaja and considered as the biggest car of its type in whole world.. The Gajalaxmi puja on Kojaagari Purnima or Kumar Purnima Durga Pujaat Amruta manohi village is celebrated in the month of October and Kartikeya Puja in November and Maa Kali Puja at Olaver are held each year. Gajalaxmi puja is a big festival here and is celebrated for 7 days. Maa Kali Puja in Olaver is one of the famous festivals in the region. The Oriya sweet dish, Rasabali, originated from Kendrapara. Kendrapara is also known as Tulasi Ksherta (as Tulasi, different from basil tulsi is the wife of Lord Balabhadra) and Gupta Kshetra (Lord Balabhadra wish to stay here secretly). Different types of prasad prepared and used in Baladevjew Temple are Rasabali, Potali Pitha, Magaja Ladoo, Kakaraa, Khaja, Karanji, Chhena Kheeri, Ghanabrata, Dahipakhala, Khiri, Puri etc.
Village Kusupur is one of the well known and very important village in the District Kendrapara - Cuttack (earst while) District. Village Poet Nanda Kishore Bal, Village Educationist and socialist leader Surya Mani Jena, Silpiguru Bimbadhara Verma, Pradyumna Bal, Member of Parliament are the most distinguished personalities who hails from village Kusupur. Village Kusupur is also famous for its Dussera Sabha which organizes the traditional Sword Fighting on the eleventh day (next day of Dussera) for last more than hundred years. On this occasion Kusupur Dussera sabha organises various local cultural functions including the sword fighting wherein the Kshetriyas of village Kusupur and from the nearest gadjat areas participate and were being awarded. Apart from the sword fighting the fire fighting (burnati) are also worth watching. Every year about a lakh of people gathered in Kusupur to witness the Dussera Sabha. Village Kusupur is situated in the bank of river Birupa and next to Balichandrapur on the National Highway No.5A. Bhalukuni Melana is celebrated each and every year in Derabis hata ground. It is one of the biggest melana in the district. Ramjan, Eid, bakhrid, muharram are the festivals of Muslims are observed each year with great pump. Derabish is located 11 km away from district headquarters. Karilopatna located near to Kendrapara is a beautiful place to visit. Potali Matha, located at Balia which is around 5 km towards north of Kendrapara town, organizes a 5-day 'Biswa Santhi yajna' each year in March. People from across India gather there. On the final day of the Yajna, organized by the local trust headed by Kartik chandra Mishra and there is always a big crowd, more than 20,000 to get the prasad (Yajna Ahuti). Lohit baba Mandir, located at Chhata Chhaka (NH-5A), Derabish is around 6 km away from Kendrapara town and 20 km away from chandikhol. Dadhibamana Temple is situated in Derabish. One of the famous "Boita Bandana Utashv" held on November (Kartika masa) in the village kalapada, which is 7 km from Kendrapara town situated in the bank of Luna river (A part of Mahanadi). Near about 20-30 thousand people gather in this festival that will celebrate for 7 days. And the ultimate part is, it is inaugurated by Power Minister Mr. Atanu Saibyasachi. That festival is mainly celebrated for the remembrance of Sadhabs who were gone to Java and Sumitra etc. for business.
Most of the people here are farmers and some do business and some do fishing in the river and the bay of Bengal. growing prawn near sea shore is a profitable business. Many small-scale industries are coming up so people are now getting more opportunity there.
The Assembly seats under the Kendrapara parliamentary constituency are Kendrapara, Salepur, Mahanga, Mahakalapada, Aul, Patakura and Rajnagar. The major three prominent political parties in the Assembly and Parliamentary constituency of Kendrapara are Bharatiya Janata Party, Biju Janata Dal and Congress Party.
Throughout the area politics have remained with the local parties since the 1970s. Kendrapara has played a crucial role in Odisha's politics, producing leaders like Member of Parliament Mr. Rabi Ray who achieved the post of Speaker in Loksabha, and Mr. Biju Patnaik, former Chief Minister of Odisha. Present day leaders from Kendrapara include individuals such as Mr.Sanjib Kumar Mohanty Advocate, Supreme Court of India and Former Spokesperson of Delhi University Students' Union, as well as Supreme Court of India Lawyer Mr.Prasanta Varma and Member of Parliament of Kendrapara (Lok Sabha constituency), Mr. Baijayanta Panda. Current Member of Parliament is Baijayant Panda.Mr Kedarnath Samantray is also a good politician from karilopatna village.He was unable to win any election in his entire life even as ward member but still he is hopping to stand in panchayat election this time. He nominated his wife for Jila parisad candidate for kendrapara dist this year (2012).Most prominent leader of Kendrapara assembly constituency is Pradeepta(Pira) Mohanty, who was chairman of Kendrapara Block in 1992, his wife Nirmala Mohanty was chairman of Kendrapara Block in 2002, he was Sarpanch of Chakroda Panchayat in 1985.He is in active politics since 1970 onwards, currently he is vice president dist. BJD and vice chairman RMC Kendrapara.
Current MLA from Kendrapara Assembly Constituency is Kishor Tarei,from BJD who won the seat in State elections of 2014. Previous MLAs from this seat were Sipra Mullick of BJD in 2009, Utkal Keshari Parida of OGP in 2004, Bed Prakash Agarwalla who won this seat in 2000 representing BJP and also earlier in 1990 representing JD and in 1977 representing JNP, Bhagabat Prasad Mohanty of INC who won in 1995 and in 1985, and Indramani Rout of INC (I) in 1980.
Presently Mr. Pratap Keshari Deb is the MLA of Ali; Mr. Pratap Jena is the MLA of Mahanga; Mr. Atanu Sabyasachi is the MLA of Mahakalapada; Mr. Bed Prakash Agarwala is the MLA of Patkura
Kendrapara is part of Kendrapara (Lok Sabha constituency). baratunga is a village near river bank of luna river. this village is always affected flood. most of the people of this village depends on agriculture. villagers literacy level is not satisfactory. people of this village are poor. there are no facility of irrigation, sanitary.
"Sri Chhualia Shakti Peeth" One and only tourist place of Pattamundai block. Maa chhualia is the adhisthatri devi of this peeth. This shakti Peeth is situated on the bank of the river the Govari in the village of Lokanathpur. It is a same distance of 12 km far from the nearest town Kendrapara and Pattamundai. The whole place is surrounded by sahada trees. Other trees like kadamba, krushnachuda, panihenduli, ashosth are also available here. The main thing is Maa takes nonvegetarian in food offerings (bhoga) for instance fish. But any types of meat or wine strictly prohibited here. Dola Melan, Raja, Panchuka, Biswasanti Mahayajnya, Asta Prahar Namayajnya are the festivals of this Peeth.
Bhitarakanika is covered with deep mangrove forests and saline rivers. It was declared a Sanctuary on 21-04-1975. It is famous for natural crocodile breeding. Other animals like deer, wild boar, monkeys, monitor, python, king cobra also found here.
Batighar is where the first lighthouse was installed on the eastern coast of India. It is situated on the other bank of river Kharinasi. The height of this light house is 125 feet. Construction of this lighthouse was started on 6 December 1836 and it was lighted on 16 October 1837.
Kanika Palace is a massive palace constructed by King of Kanika. It was constructed on an area of 4 acres of land and height of the structure is of 75 feet. It is situated in Rajkanika Block.
Aul Palace is situated near Aul township. It is an ancient palace spread over 40 acres of land.
Badakotha is an old building near the Kendrapara Bus stand. Once upon a time, Badakotha in Odisha only indicated to the 2 stair building of Radhashyam Narendra.
Hukitola is a storm proof go-down constructed in the Jamboo island by British according to the wish of Captain Harris. It consists of 11 large size and 9 small size chambers.
Eka Kula is a unique island in kendrapara, which can be reached via bike during tide in the day time also you can reach there via boats from Jambu. This place is very beautiful once you reach there then you can feel like you are in heaven.
Also There are so many picnic spots in and around Kendrapara. Paradeep is only 20–30 km drive from Kendrapara. You can see the sea beach, port, Neheru Bangala(first prime minister of India had come here) and also see the entry gate of river to Sea shore. Paradeep is also the last point of east coast of India.
Most popular Udaya Giri & Ratna Giri just 10–15 km drive from Kendrapada. Mainly Budhu Murti, Budhu pratima are conservated there.There also a picnic spot Named Sakhi Bata. It is situated near Luna River. it is a beautiful spot.Lord Baladev and Laxmi Mandir is there. Lord mahaveer temple at new chandan pokhari, Ichhapur,kendrapara.
'PENTHA':It is situated in between the great River Chitrotpala & Luna (Karandia).It's only 12 km far from Kendrapara Town & 5 km from Patkura.Direct buses available from cuttack to Pentha.Itis famous for Maa sata Bhauni Temple (Among the Ancient Temple of Odisha) is situated in the middle of the village & Maa Kharakhai (Goddess Dhumabati),Gopinathjew temple,Ram Mandir, Sarala Mandir,Tarini Temple, Hanumanjew Temple & Nilakantheswar Temple. The Sandhha Nacha (Celebrated for the Memory of Sandha Raja of Kunjang Garh)at Dola Purnima.The Rama Charita Manas & Parayan Celebrated for 9 days (every Year) On the occasion of Lord Hanuman's Birth Day.It is also the Birthplace of famous Poet & Writer Mr. Kabibar Parida.
SIALIAA it is situated in the RAJKANIKA block.The main and only attraction is that there is no doors in any houses of villagers. MAA KHARAKHAI is the GRAMA DEVATI of that village and she keep all the villagers as well as village safe from any type of incident,And many villages famous for their god & goddess like "BAIPADA" village is the smallest village of kendrapara district Maa Boiti Nahakani is the "GRAMA DEVATI", In this village people believes that when cyclone happened in 1999 that Maa Boiti nahakani saved this village when Fload was coming into village then "Maa Boiti nahakani appeared infront of fload and fload stopped coming into village.
- Baba Gobinda Das Chatta Mattha. Amruta Manohi.
- Maa Boiti nahakani Temple,Baipada,Pattamundai,Kendrapara.
- Maa Kali Temple,Olaver
- Maa Ichhabati Temple, Deogan, Olaver .
- Laxmi Narayan temple, Olaver.
- Maa Sidheswari Temple, Thakurani Pal, Charapada.
- Maa Thanapati Temple,Mirapatana,Kendrapara
- Sri Chhualia Shakti Peeth,Lokanathpur.
- Maa Dhyanadhai Mandir,MangarajPur
- Maa Gojabayani Temple, Baghadia.
- Baraha Jew Temple, Aul.
- Binodbehari Jew, Ganamahal.
- Baba Siddhamahapurusa, Ramanayak Dia, Taradipal
- Sakhibata Temple, Bagada.
- DadhiBaman Jew Temple, Choudakulat.
- Sakhibata Temple, Bagada.
- Gobinda Jew Temple, Kendrapara.
- Dadhibanman Jew Temple, Derabis.
- Baladev Jew Temple, Kendrapara.
- Hanuman Temple, Garapur.
- Lakshman Jew Temple, Kushiapal.
- Kanaka Durga Temple, Icchapur.
- Maa Ramachandi Temple, Ramanagar.
- Maa Bascheswary Temple, Badamath.
- Gopinath Temple, Baranga,kendrapara.
- Sanamangala and Badamangala Temple, Kendrapara.
- Mahipaluni Temple, Kendrapara.
- Maa Jagulai Temple, Jagulaipada.
- Baba Baidyanath Temple, Inside Mausimaa temple.
- Ananta mahapurusa matha khasadi.
- Jagannath Mandir,Amruta Manohi.
- Maa Basanti Mandir, Pegar Para.
- Sreegundicha mandir, Daipur
- Shree DadhiBaman Jew Mandir, Village: Desahi, Kendrapara.
- Shree Nilakanthaeshwar Mahadev Mandir, Village: Desahi, Kendrapra.
- Maa Jagulai Mandir,Pegarpara.
- Chandramauli Mandir, Chandannagar,Pattamundai, Kendrapara
- Anadi Ashram, Buhanlo, Pattamundai, Kendrapara
- Bandan Anta Math, Pasta
- Maa Kanasara Temple, Firikidandy.
- maa panchubarahi temple,satavaya,rajanagar
- Maa Kali Temple,Olaver
- Maa Sata Bhauni Temple,Pentha,Patkura, Kendrapara
- Sri Sri Grameswar Mandir, Belar Nuagan, Kendrapara
- Maa matia mangala mandir,jarimula,rajnagar
- Maa Basanti Durga Devi Temple, Jagannathpur (3.5 km away from NH 5A)
In the field of education also Kendrapara is not behind. There are so many schools and colleges which are engaged in creating well qualified professionals in all the fields. Some of the educational institutions of Kendrapara are:
- Alfa science College, Kendrapara
- Amruta Manohi Girls High School, Amruta Manohi
- Ananta mahapurusa high school, kalapada, khasadi.
- Bagdevi Ucha Vidyapitha, Daliji
- Balabehari Bidyapitha, Mahal.
- Baladev High School,Kendrapara.
- Balia Govt. High School.
- Balia Women's College.
- Bhagabanpur High School.
- Bhagabati High school, Belarpur, Kendrapara.
- Bharati Bidya Mandir.
- Chhatabata girls High school, Hafimelak.
- Dadhibaman Jew Vidya Pitha, Village: Desahi, Block: Aul
- Derabish College.
- Derabish High School, Derabis.
- Dinbandhu Sahoo Law College, Kendrapara.
- Dohali High School.
- Govari High School, Gandakia.
- Government Girl's High School, Kendrapara.
- Gulnagar High School.
- Harekrushna High School, Damarpur, Pattamundai.
- Hrudananda Nayak Smaraki Mohavidyalaya, Chandol
- Ichhapur High School.
- Ideal Public School.
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Baro.
- Joyaram High School Karilopatna.
- Jagamohan High School, Baradang.
- Jagulaipara Deshpur Girls High School.
- Kalapada High School.
- Kanasara Bidyashrma, Firikidandy.
- Kansar Sahaspur High School, Kansar Sahaspur.
- Kansar Tarapada High School Kendrapara
- Karilopatna college, Karilopatna.
- Kendrapara Autonomous College, Kendrapara.
- Kendrapara Institute of Engg. & Tech.(KIET).
- Kendrapara Town High School, Kendrapar.
- Kudanagari High School, Kudanagari.
- Kuanarpal UP School (B) Kuanarpal, Marshaghi, Kendrapara.
- Lal Bahadur Uchha Sikshya Shrama, Mehendipur, Kendrapara.
- Lokanath Mohavidyalaya, Korua.
- Madhusagar Vidyapitha, Pasta
- Maruti Ucha Bidyapitha, Baghilo.
- Marsaghai College.
- Marsaghai High School.
- Maa Chhualia Panchayat High School,Gunupur.
- M.N. High School, Pattamundai.
- Naindipur High School,Naindipur.
- Netaji Model School, Madhapur,Kendrapara Town
- NM Industrial Training Center, Balia, Bhagatpur.
- Naindipur High School.
- Oscar Science College, Kendrapara
- Pattamundai College, Pattamundai.
- Pattamundai Girl's High School.
- Pegarpara high school, Pegarpara, Olaver, Kendrapara
- Panchayat High School, Laxminarayan Pur.
- PNS Diploma college.
- GD High School, Sanamanga
- Ramachandra High School, Fakirabad.
- Rajagarh High school.
- Saraswati Sisu Vidya Mandir.
- St. Joseph's School and college, the only ICSE school in the Kendrapara district
- Sudersan High School, Thakurhat.
- Siddha Mahapurusa Primary School, Ramanayak Dia, Taradipal, Kendrapara
- Sidha Marichiyani Bidyaptha, Manatir.
- S.N. College, Rajkanika.
- Sanjivani Vidya Mandir, Gulnagar, Kendrapara.
- Tarapada High School Tarapada, Mohakalpara
- Talakusuma Govindpur High School.
- Tulsi Women's College, Kendrapara.
- Unique Public School, Derabis. *Usha devi women's college .Andhra.
- Yugarupa Bidya Bhaban, Chadaiguan,Mahakalpara.
- Sri Sri Baya Baba College, Mahakal para.
- Nigamanda U.P. school,Maha kal para.Kendra para
- Olaver High School,Olaver
- Olaver College, Olaver
- Janashakti High School,Pentha, Kendrapara
- Chandra Sekhar (C.S) High School, Belar Nuagan, Kendrapara
- UK mohavir college,madan pur,pattamundai
Kendrapara has produced a number of well-known personalities. Like famous astronomer, mathematician and writer of Suskhma Sphuta Siddhanta Pandit Sri Gokulananda Routroy (1947–2009), Pandit Binod Behari Dash etc. Nowadays young and enthusiastic professionals are coming up and have established their names in the fields like software and IT industry, petroleum industry, management, finance, education, administration, politics, well-known media personality like Itishree Nayak (Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana Award for Electronic Media Oriya -2006) also belonging to Tripurari Pur village of Mangal Pur Gram Panchayat, Derabish Block of Kendrapara District. Another notable person from this area is Dr Prafulla Kumar Behera was one of the many scientists involved in the commissioning of a device called silicon pixel detector, which played a big part in the success of the Higgs-Boson experiment.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Kendrapara
- "State Elections 2004 - Partywise Comparison for 33-Kendrapara Constituency of Odisha". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-09-24.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies of Odisha". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-09-24.
- "Tourist Places".
- "Kendrapara PinCode". citypincode.in. Retrieved 2014-05-19.