Kenly, North Carolina
|Kenly, North Carolina|
|• Total||1.5 sq mi (3.9 km2)|
|• Land||1.5 sq mi (3.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||194 ft (59 m)|
|• Density||1,035.1/sq mi (399.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1021028|
Kenly is a town in Johnston and Wilson counties in the U.S. state of North Carolina. It was named for a railroad official. The population was 1,339 at the 2010 census. Kenly is the home of the Eastern North Carolina Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee) State Executive Offices and Conference Center.
Kenly is located at (35.592967, -78.127360).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.9 km²), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,569 people, 671 households, and 414 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,035.1 people per square mile (398.5/km²). There were 754 housing units at an average density of 497.4 per square mile (191.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 55.32% White, 40.60% African American, 0.25% Native American, 0.25% Asian, 2.29% from other races, and 1.27% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.57% of the population.
There were 671 households out of which 32.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 36.8% were married couples living together, 20.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.2% were non-families. 34.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the town the population was spread out with 28.1% under the age of 18, 8.5% from 18 to 24, 29.1% from 25 to 44, 20.4% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 90.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $20,865, and the median income for a family was $33,214. Males had a median income of $24,250 versus $17,917 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,181. About 23.3% of families and 25.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.5% of those under age 18 and 19.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Glendale-Kenly Elementary
- North Johnston High School
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 173.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Kenly Chamber of Commerce
- Town of Kenly Web site
- Kenly News
- Kenly Visitor Info
- Eastern North Carolina Church of God