|Member of the New Zealand Parliament
for Green Party List
|Born||1946 (age 66–67)|
|Political party||Green Party|
|Alma mater||University of Auckland
The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
Victoria University of Wellington
Kennedy Gollan Montrose Graham (born 1946) is a New Zealand politician and MP for the Green Party. He has served in the New Zealand Foreign Service for sixteen years, and lectured at the University of Canterbury and Victoria University of Wellington.
Graham has a BCom from the University of Auckland, a MA in International Relations from The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts, and a PhD from Victoria University of Wellington. He received Fulbright and Fletcher scholarships, and a McCarthy Fellowship in 1986.
As a New Zealand diplomat, Graham was involved in the negotiation of the South Pacific Nuclear Free Zone. He worked as Secretary-General of Parliamentarians for Global Action. He has worked at the United Nations, first as a director at the United Nations University from 1999 to 2004, and later as Senior Consultant in the Department of Political Affairs, from 2005 to 2006. In 2007 he became Adjunct Senior Fellow at the University of Canterbury School of Law, and was a Senior Lecturer at Victoria University of Wellington. Graham was also a Visiting Professor at the College of Europe in Belgium.
Member of Parliament
|Parliament of New Zealand|
|2011 – present||50th||List||5||Green|
In July 2009 Graham's International Non-Aggression and Lawful Use of Force Bill was drawn from the member's ballot. The bill would have outlawed the crime of aggression in New Zealand domestic law and required the government to table a legal opinion in Parliament before committing any forces to overseas military operations. The bill was voted down at its first reading, 64 to 58.
As of May 2013, Graham is responsible for the Disarmament, Global Affairs, Climate Change, Trade & Foreign Investment, Constitutional Issues, and Defence portfolios in the Green Party. He is also the Deputy-Chairperson of the Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Committee and a Member of the Privileges Committee.
- "New Zealand Hansard - Members Sworn Volume:651;Page:2". Parliament of New Zealand.
- "Special votes see Greens gain seat, Nats lose". New Zealand Herald. 22 November 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- "International Non-Aggression and Lawful Use of Force Bill". New Zealand Parliament. Retrieved 2009-12-08.
- New Zealand Parliamentary Debates 656 5740.
- New Zealand Parliamentary Debates 657 6818.
- "Dr Kennedy Graham". New Zealand Parliament. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kennedy Graham.|
- Biography at the Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand
- Biography at the University of Canterbury
- Biography at the New Zealand Parliament website