||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2015)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015)|
Kenneth Cobonpue is an industrial designer known for his unique designs integrating natural materials with innovative handmade production processes. He began his passage to design when he studied Industrial Design in New York, which led him to apprenticeship and further studies in Italy and Germany
Cobonpue pioneered on integrating design, manufacturing and global distribution and branding from his headquarters on the island of Cebu.
Awards to his credit include Hong Kong’s Design for Asia Award, the Japan Good Design Award, American Society of Interior Designers Selection, the French Coup de Coeur Award and the first Asian Designer of the Year title given by the Maison et Objet in Paris.
Cobonpue designs have appeared in full-length films such as Oceans 13 and CSI Miami while his roster of clientele include Hollywood celebrities and members of royalty.[who?] TIME Magazine has called him “rattan’s first great virtuoso."
Interior Crafts of the Islands, Inc. (I.C.I)
After a series of further studies and apprentices abroad, Kenneth moved back to Cebu in 1996 to help manage their family business founded by his mother in 1972. Upon managing the business, Kenneth discovered that by the use of natural fibers and materials as a medium, modern design could have a new face.
Timeline of collections
1980 – Lotus (patented)
1998 – Yin Yang – Kenneth Cobonpue's first design.
1999 – Balou
2000 – Pigale, La Luna
2001 – Voyage
2002 – Yoda, Croissant, Kabuki, Lulu
2003 – Tilt, Matilda, Amaya, Dimple, Lolita, Terra
2004 – Chiquita, Lolah, Wave, Pirouette
2005 – Stitches, Retaso, Suzy Wong, Kawayan
2006 – Dragnet, Dimsum, Link
2007 – Kawayan Too, Manolo
2008 – Oasis, Noodle, Bouquet, Operetta
2009 – Bloom, Harry, Hagia, Freya, Nobu, Vaña
2010 – Rapunzel, Ima, Juniper, Ziggy
2011 – Cabaret, Papillion, Mermaid,Dream Catcher, Pebble, Giza, Enoki, Tria
2012 – Eclipse, Tropez, Zaza, Kaja, Parchment Table, Annika
2013 – Parchment, Calyx, Adesso, Trame, Papillion Swing
Further Reading & Special Appearances
- International Design Yearbook 2005 (Lawrence King Publishing House of London) curated by Marcel Wanders ISBN 978-1-85669-435-3
- International Design Yearbook 2004 (Lawrence King Publishing House of London) curated by Tom Dixon ISBN 978-1-85669-392-9
- International Design Yearbook 2002 (Lawrence King Publishing House of London) curated by Ross Lovegrove.
- Tropical Living and Tropical Interiors both by Elizabeth Reyes (Periplus Editions) 2002
- New Bedroom Design, 2004 (Daab GmbH) by Marcel Wanders 2005
- 1000 New Designs and Where to Find Them, 2006 (Laurence King Publishing, Ltd.)by Jennifer Hudson ISBN 978-1-85669-466-7
- Tropical Interiors, 2002, (Periplus Editions HK) by Elizabeth Reyes. Pages 93–97
- Design Now!, 2007 (Taschen GmbH) by Charlotte & Peter Fiell ISBN 978-3-8228-5267-5
- Simply Material, 2007, (Viction:Workshop Limited) by Victor Cheung
- Fork, 2007 (Phaidon Press) by Tom Dixon
- Phaidon's new 2007 book, "& FORK," underscores his leading position in the industry.
- Appearance in European television including Deutsche Welle and Dutch TV
- “The Voyager” – “Never gonna leave this Bed” music video by Maroon 5 | January 29, 2011
- International magazines:
- TIME Magazine July 2006 ISSN 0040-781X
- Newspapers: The Washington Post and Shanghai Daily News
- “Ocean’s Thirteen”
- “CSI: Miami”