Kenneth Diplock, Baron Diplock
As Lord Diplock, he chaired a commission set up in 1972 to consider legal measures against terrorism in Northern Ireland, which led to the establishment of the juryless Diplock courts with which his name is now associated.
At the time of his death, Lord Diplock was the longest serving Law Lord.
Contributions to legal thought
He made many contributions to legal thought and pushed the law in new and unique directions.
The current typology of grounds for judicial review is owing to Lord Diplock.
- Procedural impropriety
- Nemo judex (Bias rule)
- Audi alteram partem (Hearing rule)
- Ultra vires
- Simple ultra vires
- Extended ultra vires
- Procedural ultra vires
- Wednesbury irrationality
- Lack of proportionality
- Innominate Terms
- Primary and Secondary Obligations
- Hong Kong Fir Shipping Co Ltd v Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha Ltd  2 QB 26
- Harvela Investments Ltd v Royal Trust of Canada (CI) Ltd  AC 207
- Council of Civil Service Unions v Minister for the Civil Service  AC 374
- Whitehouse v Lemon; Whitehouse v Gay News Ltd  2 WLR 281
- O'Reilly v Mackman  2 AC 237
- American Cyanamid Co v Ethicon Ltd  A.C.396 HL
- Dickson, Brice (1989). "The Contribution of Lord Diplock to the General Law of Contract". Oxford Journal of Legal Studies 9 (4): 441. doi:10.1093/ojls/9.4.441.
- Andrews, Neil (2011). Contract Law. Cambridge University Press. p. 681. ISBN 978-0-521-12467-6.
- Woolf, Harry (1986). "The Role of the English Judiciary in Developing Public Law". William and Mary Law Review 27 (4): 675.
- Laws, John (October 1992). "Is the High Court the Guardian of Fundamental Constitutional Rights". Commonwealth Law Bulletin 18 (4): 1389. doi:10.1080/03050718.1992.9986233.
- Sacks, Vera; Maxwell, Judith (May 1984). "Unnatural Justice for Discriminators". The Modern Law Review 47 (3): 336–337. JSTOR 1095955.
- Jowell, Jeffrey; Lester, Anthony (April 1988). "Beyond Wednesbury: Substantive Principles of Administrative Law". Commonwealth Law Review 14 (2): 859. doi:10.1080/03050718.1988.9985971.
- The Hong Kong Fir  EWCA Civ 7
- Moschi v. Lep AirServices Ltd.  A.C. 331 per Lord Diplock, confirmed in Photo Production Ltd. v Securior Transport Ltd.  UKHL 2 at  per Lord Wilberforce