Kenneth Dubuque Memorial State Forest
|Kenneth Dubuque Memorial State Forest|
|Massachusetts State Forest|
|Counties||Franklin, Hampshire, Berkshire|
|Towns||Hawley, Plainfield, Savoy|
|Location||West Hawley Rd (Rt 8A)|
|- elevation||1,604 ft (489 m) |
|Area||7,405 acres (2,997 ha) |
|Management||Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation|
|Website: Kenneth Dubuque Memorial State Forest|
Kenneth Dubuque Memorial State Forest is a Massachusetts state forest in the northern Berkshire Hills in the towns of Hawley, Plainfield, and Savoy. The forest is managed by the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR). In 1985, the forest was named in memory of Kenneth M. Dubuque, a former employee of the Department of Environmental Management.
Activities and amenities
- Trails: Some 35 miles (56 km) of trails are designated for mixed use including horseback riding, mountain biking, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling. In addition, there are 6 miles (9.7 km) of hiking trails and a one-mile interpretive trail encircling Hallockville Pond. Two small shelters may be found along the trails.
- Artifacts: Historical artifacts in the forest include cellar holes of abandoned South Hawley village, an unusual beehive-shaped fieldstone charcoal kiln, and the remains of a mill complex at Hallockville Pond.
- The forest also features wilderness camping, canoeing, fishing, and restricted hunting.
- The Massachusetts Student Conservation Association–AmeriCorps program is headquartered at Hallockville Pond.
- "Hallockville Pond". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- "2012 Acreage Listing". Department of Conservation and Recreation. April 2012. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- Massachusetts (October 4, 1985 (approval)). "1985 Chapter 0346. An Act Designating Certain State Forest On Both Sides Of State Highway Route 8a In The Towns Of Hawley And Plainfield As The Kenneth M. Dubuque Memorial State Forest.". The State Library of Massachusetts. Retrieved 2008-11-04.
- "Kenneth Dubuque Memorial State Forest". MassParks. Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs. Retrieved August 12, 2013.
- Kenneth Dubuque Memorial State Forest Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Dubuque Memorial State Forest Trail Map Department of Conservation and Recreation