|Known for||Library administration ; devising Library classification schemes, including Garside classification|
Born in Bradford in 1913, he was educated at Bradford Grammar School and Leeds University. He became an Assistant Librarian at Leeds University in 1937, before going to war in 1939. He was commissioned into the Intelligence Corps in 1941, and served in the Headquarters, 21 Army Group, in 1945, where he was instrumental in establishing The Intelligence Library of the Control Commission for Germany in Bad Oeynhausen (later moved to Herford).
After the war, he worked as Deputy Librarian at University College London, from 1945–1958; although he continued working with the British occupation in Germany, such as on the Enemy Publications (Requirements) Committee (EPCOM) - making German learned documents published during the war available to British academics. He became Librarian at King's College London in 1958, and remained there until 1974. He ended his professional career as Goldsmiths' Librarian and Director of Central Library Services in the University of London between 1974 and 1978. He served on many public bodies connected with library, university and cultural work.
Books, a selection:
- 1981. Library co-operation at a time of financial constraints / by Kenneth Garside London : LRCC,1981
- 1983. Guide to the library resources of the University of London / compiled by Kenneth Garside. [London] : University of London, Library Resources Co-ordinating Committee, 1983.
- Mutch, Iain; Kemsley, Rachel (2001). "GARSIDE, Lt Col Kenneth (1913-1983)". AIM25 collection description. AIM25. Retrieved 8 December 2010.
- Garside, Kenneth (1948). "An intelligence library in Germany". Journal of documentation 3 (2): 99–106. doi:10.1108/eb026112. ISSN 0022-0418.
- "Lieut-Col Kenneth Garside" [obituary]. The Times, Friday 9 December 1983, issue 61708, p.16 col.F.
- John Salter (2008). "Leeds University Library classification scheme". Leeds University Library. Leeds University Library. Retrieved 8 December 2010.
- Garside, Kenneth (1955). "The basic principles of the new library classification at University College London". Journal of documentation 10 (4): 169–192. doi:10.1108/eb026207. ISSN 0022-0418.
- "Garside classification scheme". UCL Library Services. UCL Library Services. 2007. Retrieved 8 December 2010.
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|