Kenneth Hayes Miller
|Kenneth Hayes Miller|
Portrait photograph of Kenneth Hayes Miller, c.1910
|Died||March 11, 1876(aged -76)|
|Alma mater||Art Students League of New York|
Kenneth Hayes Miller (March 11, 1876 – January 1, 1952) was an American painter and teacher.
Born in Oneida, New York, he studied at the Art Students League of New York with Kenyon Cox, Henry Siddons Mowbray and with William Merritt Chase at the New York School of Art. His early works were influenced by the paintings of his friend Albert Pinkham Ryder, and depict figures in phantasmagorical landscapes.
After 1920 Miller became interested in the underpainting-and-glazing techniques of the old masters, which he employed in painting contemporary scenes.
He is especially noted for his many paintings of women shopping in department stores.
Miller taught at the Art Students League from 1911 until 1951. His students include: Peggy Bacon, Isabel Bishop, Arnold Blanch, Patrick Henry Bruce, John McCrady, Thelma Cudlipp, Horace Day, Arnold Friedman, Lloyd Goodrich, Rockwell Kent, Yasuo Kuniyoshi, Emma Fordyce MacRae, Edward Middleton Manigault, Reginald Marsh, Walter Tandy Murch, Louise Emerson Ronnebeck, George Tooker, Russel Wright, Albert Pels and William C. Palmer.
Collections where his works can be found include:
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, New York
- Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, Ohio
- Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, New York
- Raydon Gallery, New York, New York
- Georgia Museum of Art, Athens, GA
- Heckscher Museum of Art, Huntington, New York
- Phillips Collection, Washington, District of Columbia
- New Jersey State Museum, Trenton, New Jersey
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, California
- Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford, Connecticut
- Art Gallery of Hamilton, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- New Britain Museum of American Art, New Britain, Connecticut
- Butler Institute of American Art, Youngstown, Ohio
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, District of Columbia
- Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens, San Marino, California
- Wichita Art Museum, Wichita, Kansas
- Smithsonian Institution, Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington, District of Columbia
- Speed Art Museum, Louisville, Kentucky
as well as in numerous private collections.
- Opitz, Glenn B , Editor, Mantle Fielding’s Dictionary of American Painters, Sculptors & Engravers, Apollo Book, Poughkeepsie NY, 1986
- Phillips Collection retrieved December 17, 2009
- Kendall, M. Sue, "Kenneth Hayes Miller", Oxford Art Online, retrieved June 4, 2012
- Tatham, David (2006). "Drawn to Stone: The Early Lithographs of Yasuo Kuniyoshi". North American prints, 1913-1947: an examination at century's end. Syracuse University Press. p. 100.
- Smithsonian archives retrieved December 17, 2009
- Phillips Collection biography
- Butler Institute biography
- Two exhibition catalogs featuring Miller from The Metropolitan Museum of Art Libraries (fully available online as PDF)