Kenneth J. Harvey
Kenneth Joseph Thomas Harvey (born 22 January 1962) is a Canadian award-winning filmmaker, photographer, journalist and internationally bestselling author. Born in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, his films have screened at over thirty film festivals around the world, and his books are published in Canada, the US, the UK, Russia, Germany, China, Japan, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Italy, Turkey, Sweden, the Netherlands, Denmark and France. He has won the Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize, the Thomas Raddall Atlantic Fiction Award, the Winterset Award, Italy's Libro Del Mare, and has been nominated for the Books in Canada First Novel Award, the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award, and twice for both the Giller Prize and the Commonwealth Writers Prize.
Harvey's editorials have been published in most major Canadian newspapers, on CBC Radio and in The Times (London). He is the chief writer and producer of The Harvey Retaliation, a consumer revenge broadcast, and has held the prestigious posts of Writer-in-Residence at both the University of New Brunswick and Memorial University of Newfoundland. He is the founder of the ReLit Awards for poetry, short fiction and novels.
Harvey lives in St. John's and an outport on the Island of Newfoundland.
One of his latest books, The Town That Forgot How to Breathe (2003), takes place in Bareneed, Newfoundland and Labrador, where the residents have suddenly lost their ability to breathe automatically. Ladyhawke Ventures acquired the rights to produce a film based on the book.
Harvey has sat on the Board of Directors of the Ottawa International Writers Festival.
- Directions for an Opened Body (1990)
- Brud (1992)
- Stalkers (1994)
- The Hole That Must Be Filled (1995)
- Nine-Tenths Unseen (1996)
- Kill The Poets: Anti-verse (1998)
- The Flesh So Close (1998)
- The Great Misogynist (1998)
- Everyone Hates a Beauty Queen (1998)
- The Woman in the Closet (1998)
- Skin Hound (2000)
- Little White Squaw: A White Woman's Story of Abuse, Addiction, and Reconciliation (2002, with Eve Mills Nash)
- The Town That Forgot How to Breathe (2003) (winner of the 2004 Thomas Head Raddall Award and Italy's Libro del Mare)
- Shack: The Cutland Junction Stories (2004)
- Inside (2006) (longlisted for the Giller Prize), (winner of the Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize), (winner of the Winterset Award)
- Blackstrap Hawco (2008) (longlisted for the Giller Prize), (shortlisted for the Commonwealth Writers Prize)
- Reinventing the Rose (2011)
- I'm 14 and I Hate the World
- It's a Girl
- Geek Assassin
- It Was Sunny The Day I Killed Her
- The Immigrant's Handbook
- The Slattery Street Crockers (Writer/Director/Producer)
- Kenneth J. Harvey blog
- Kenneth J. Harvey's entry in The Canadian Encyclopedia
- ReLit Awards Web site
- Harvey's Anti-Walmart blog
- Kenneth J. Harvey IMDb page
- Kenneth J. Harvey Photography page
- Kenneth J. Harvey flickr page