Kenneth J. Smith
|Kenneth J. Smith|
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
from the 112th district
January 2, 2007 – January 2, 2013
|Preceded by||Fred Belardi|
|Succeeded by||Kevin Haggerty|
|Alma mater||Keystone College|
Prior to elective office, he owned Smith’s Restaurant in Scranton, which has been a family-owned business since 1934. Smith defeated incumbent Fred Belardi in the 2006 democratic primary. and easily won the general election.
It was disclosed in 2008 that the restaurant property was subject to over $27,274 in delinquent school and city property taxes. The was put up for tax sale in 2007, but received no bids. Smith paid off the tax liens on his property by May 2008. In November 2009, the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue filed a $24,762 tax lien against the restaurant, an action that Smith said was a "mistake," citing the fact that he had paid the tax bill two months prior.
- "SESSION OF 2007 191ST OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY No. 1". LEGISLATIVE JOURNAL. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2007-01-02. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "2006 General Election - Representative in the General Assembly". Commonwealth of PA - Elections Information. Pennsylvania Department of State. 2004. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "Representative Ken Smith (PA)". Project Vote Smart. Project Vote Smart. 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "Rep. Kenneth J. Smith Biography". Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus. 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- "2006 General Primary - Representative in the General Assembly". Commonwealth of PA - Elections Information. Pennsylvania Department of State. 2004. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- Krawczeniuk, Borys (2008-03-04). "Smith owes $27,000 in taxes". The Scranton Times Tribune (The Scranton Times Tribune).
- Borys, Krawczeniuk (2008-05-15). "Rep. Smith pays late tax bills". The Scranton Times Tribune (The Scranton Times Tribune).
- Krawczeniuk, Borys (November 19, 2009). "Rep. Smith, still behind on taxes, says latest lien was a mistake". The Times-Tribune (Scranton, Pennsylvania: The Scranton Times Tribune). Archived from the original on 2009-11-22.
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives - Kenneth J. Smith official PA House website
- Pennsylvania House Democratic Caucus - Kenneth J. Smith official caucus website
|This article about a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|