Rose was an award winning writer, having won the prestigious Whitbread Book Award in the biography category in 1983 for his book, King George V. He shared that award with Victoria Glendinning, who won for her book Vita.
In April 2005, days before the wedding of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles, a British tabloid published that the couple were related, as ninth cousins, by way of the 2nd Duke of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Rose said that, although the apparent familiarity between the two was not well established, a family connection was "perfectly factible".
- Elusive Rothschild: The Life of Victor, Third Baron (2003)
- King George V (1983) ISBN 0-297-78245-2
- Kings, Queens & Courtiers : intimate portraits of the Royal House of Windsor from its foundation to the present day (1985)
- Who’s Who in the Royal House of Windsor (1985)
- The Later Cecils (1975)
- Superior Person; a portrait of Curzon and his circle in late Victorian England (1969)
- Obituary: Kenneth Rose, telegraph.co.uk, 29 January 2014