Kenny van Gaalen
|Kenny van Gaalen|
January 29, 1988 |
Kenny van Gaalen began his sidecarcross career as the passenger of Belgian driver Ben Adriaenssen in 2004, racing in the Netherlands in the competition of the Motorsport Organisatie Nederland, a Dutch amateur motorsport organisation
In 2009 the pair moved up to semi-professional level and entered the World Championship, making their debut at the Swiss Grand Prix at Wohlen. They finished the season in 18th place overall with three sixth place finishes as their best race results. In the team's second World Championship campaign, in 2010, Adriaenssen and van Gaalen finished sixth overall, with a second place in the first race of the Danish Grand Prix as their best result.
In 2011 van Gaalen did only race sporadically, at the side of fellow Dutchman Bjorn Roes. In the 2012 edition van Gaalen replaced Haralds Kurpnieks who broke his wrist in the first Grand Prix of the season as Daniël Willemsen's passenger but himself suffered a knie injury in the second French Grand Prix, and being in turn replaced by Lauris Daiders for the last five GP's. Van Gaalen took out the World Championship as a passenger because he earned more than 50 percent of the total points Willemsen took out in the 2012 championship, the necessary requirement for a passenger to become World Champion as per FIM regulations.
In 2013 van Gaalen did not race at World Championship levl while his former partner, Ben Adriaenssen, took out the World Championship. He returned for the 2014 season, now as passenger of then 17-year old Koen Hermans.
Season by season
The season by season results in the world championship for Kenny van Gaalen:
|Overall 2009 – 2014||884||68||5||5||3|
- Champions: 2012
- Kenny van Gaalen biography FIM website, accessed: 1 January 2013
- Ben Adriaenssen official website accessed: 14 October 2013
- 2009 Sidecarcross World Championship FIM website - Official results, accessed: 14 October 2013
- 2010 Sidecarcross World Championship FIM website - Official results, accessed: 14 October 2013
- NEWS: Race-report Pernes les Fontaine (Dutch) Team Willemsen website, accessed: 17 September 2012
- DANIËL WILLEMSEN ZET MET VERVANGENDE BAKKENIST JACHT OP DE WERELDTITEL VOORT (Dutch) Team Willemsen website, accessed: 17 September 2012
- Willemsen grijpt tiende wereldtitel (Dutch) De Stentor, published: 16 September 2012, accessed: 17 September 2012
- Tiende wereldtitel zijspancrosser Willemsen (Dutch) De Telegraaf, published: 16 September 2012, accessed: 17 September 2012
- FIM SIDECAR MOTOCROSS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP APPENDIX FIM website, accessed: 7 January 2012
- 2013 Sidecarcross World Championship FIM website - Official results, accessed: 14 October 2013
- Gespann-WM: Willemsens aufgewärmte Beziehung (German) Speedweek, published: 9 April 2014, accessed: 24 April 2014
|Sidecarcross World Champion (passenger)
Ben van den Bogaart