Kensington (MARC station)
|MARC commuter rail station|
|Location||10417 Howard Avenue
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Parking||Yes, 48 free spaces|
Kensington Railroad Station
|Location||Kensington, Maryland, USA|
|Architect||Ephraim Francis Baldwin|
|Architectural style||Late Victorian|
|Part of||Kensington Historic District (#80001827)|
|Added to NRHP||September 14, 1980|
CSX Transportation, the owners of the railway line, operate frequent freight service over the line. Amtrak's Capitol Limited previously served the station, and have since dropped the stop from its timetables.
The Kensington Station has a former B&O station master's house. The building is open during the Kensington Farmers Market, which is held in the station parking lot. Inside there is an old stove, waiting area, and restrooms. Tickets can be purchased from a self-service machine. During the Kensington Labor Day Parade, CSX Transportation, which currently owns the railroad line, offers free souvenirs. There is also a small model train layout. The platform is a low level concrete platform. On the other side there is a covered waiting area and some benches. Elaborate safety measures can be found on the crosswalk between the platforms leading to the station entrance that include crossbuck signs with warning bells, highway signs, and pedestrian signals.
Initially the settlement around the railroad line was known as Knowles Station. The town was incorporated in 1894 and was named Kensington at that time. The B&O station was designed by architect Ephraim Francis Baldwin and opened in 1891.:32–33  From 1893 to 1935, the station was used as a terminal for the Kensington Electric Railway and offered passenger service to Chevy Chase, Maryland. The station is a contributing property to the Kensington Historic District.
- National Register of Historic Places Listings; September 14, 1980
- Flickr photo by John Mueller
- Soderberg, Susan C. (1998). The Met: A History of the Metropolitan Branch of the B&O Railroad, Its Stations and Towns. Germantown, MD: Germantown Historical Society.
- Traceries and Preservation Associates (1992). Vision of Kensington: A Long-Range Preservation Plan (PDF) (Report). Montgomery County Council, Rockville, MD. p. 14.
- Kensington Historical Society photo of B&O Railroad station
- MARC services map
- MARC Brunswick Line schedule
- MARC stations list
- Ride-On Bus Service - official site
- Station from Google Maps Street View