|Born||1961 (age 52–53)|
|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Alma mater||University of Oregon|
|Known for||Extreme Programming, Software design patterns, JUnit|
Kent Beck is an American software engineer and the creator of the Extreme Programming and Test Driven Development software development methodologies, also named agile software development. Beck was one of the 17 original signatories of the Agile Manifesto in 2001.
He attended the University of Oregon between 1979 and 1987, receiving B.S. and M.S. degrees in computer science. He has pioneered software design patterns, the rediscovery of test-driven development, as well as the commercial application of Smalltalk. He wrote the SUnit unit testing framework for Smalltalk, which spawned the xUnit series of frameworks, notably JUnit for Java, which Beck wrote with Erich Gamma. Beck popularized CRC cards with Ward Cunningham.
- 1996. Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns. Prentice Hall. (ISBN 978-0134769042)
- 1996. Kent Beck's Guide to Better Smalltalk : A Sorted Collection. Cambridge University Press. (ISBN 978-0521644372)
- 1999. Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change. Addison-Wesley. Winner of the Jolt Productivity Award. (ISBN 978-0321278654)
- 2000. Planning Extreme Programming. With Martin Fowler. Addison-Wesley. (ISBN 978-0201710915)
- 2002. Test-Driven Development: By Example. Addison-Wesley. Winner of the Jolt Productivity Award. (ISBN 978-0321146533)
- 2003. Contributing to Eclipse: Principles, Patterns, and Plugins. With Erich Gamma. Addison-Wesley. (ISBN 978-0321205759)
- 2004. JUnit Pocket Guide. O'Reilly. (ISBN 978-0596007430)
- 2005. Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change, 2nd Edition. With Cynthia Andres. Addison-Wesley. Completely rewritten. (ISBN 978-0201616415)
- 2008. Implementation Patterns. Addison-Wesley. (ISBN 978-0321413093)
- 1987. "Using Pattern Languages for Object-Oriented Programs". With Ward Cunningham. OOPSLA'87.
- 1989. "A Laboratory For Teaching Object-Oriented Thinking". With Ward Cunningham. OOPSLA'89.
- 1989. "Simple Smalltalk Testing: With Patterns". SUnit framework, origin of xUnit frameworks.
- "Extreme Programming", Computerworld (online), 2005, webpage: Computerworld-appdev-92.
- Beck, Kent. "Kent Beck". LinkedIn. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "Where I work (Facebook)..."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kent Beck.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Kent Beck|
- KentBeck on the WikiWikiWeb
- Kent Beck's page at the Three Rivers Institute
- Kent Beck's blog
- Books by Kent Beck
- Sample chapter of Kent's book, IMPLEMENTATION PATTERNS
- TalkWare Podcast interview with Kent Beck
- FLOSS Weekly interview with Kent Beck
- Kent Beck's Notes at Facebook