Kentucky County, Virginia
Kentucky County was formed by the Commonwealth of Virginia by dividing Fincastle County into three new counties: Kentucky, Washington, and Montgomery, effective December 31, 1776. Four years later Kentucky County was abolished on June 30, 1780, when it was divided into Fayette, Jefferson, and Lincoln counties of Virginia. These later petitioned together to secede from Virginia, which was approved by the Virginia House of Burgesses. In 1792 the Commonwealth of Kentucky was admitted to the United States as its 15th state.
After Kentucky County was legislatively created on December 6, 1776 (effective 1777), the county militia was organized as follows:
- George Rogers Clark – Brig General Northwestern Frontier 01/1781
- John Bowman – Colonel – County Lieutenant of Kentucky County, Virginia 12/1776 & 11/1779
- Anthony Bledsoe – Lieutenant Colonel
- David Robinson[disambiguation needed] – appointed County Lieutenant but office was never filled.
- John Todd – Captain – Virginia
- Benjamin Logan – Captain – Kentucky County, Virginia
- Daniel Boone – Captain – Boonesborough, Kentucky
- James Harrod – Captain – Harrodsburg, Kentucky
- 1776 Act to create Kentucky County, Virginia State of Kentucky Secretary of State website
|This Kentucky-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|