Kerala Film Critics Association Awards
|Kerala Film Critics Association Awards|
Silver Jubilee logo
|Awarded for||Best in film|
|Presented by||Kerala Film Critics Association|
The Kerala Film Critics Association Awards are presented annually by the Kerala Film Critics Association to honour both artistic and technical excellence of professionals in the Malayalam language film industry of India. The awards were instituted in 1977.
The Kerala Film Critics Association had a humble start in 1977 when a group of film journalists met at the behest of K. Aniyan, and Baby. The maiden award was presented to Yudhakandam at a modest function. Since then, the status of the award had increased and the function was becoming more colourful with every passing year. In 2005, director P.Venu was bestowed with Kala Prathiba Award for his immense contribution to Malayalam cinema.
Juries and rules
The films are selected by the members of the association. Initially, only those films that were released in theatres were considered for the award. Later, following the state award pattern, all censored films began to be considered. The aspirants have to remit an entry fee of Rs. 500 and the screening charge for contest for the award (as of 2002).
- Best Film
- Best Director
- Best Actor - Male
- Best Actor - Female
- Second Best Film
- Second Best Actor - Male
- Best Supporting Actor - Female
- Best Debut Director
- Best Story
- Best Script
- Best Art Direction
- Best Cinematographer
- Best Music Director
- Best Lyricist
- Best Playback Singer - Male
- Best Playback Singer - Female
- Best Popular Film
- Special Jury Award
In addition to regular categories, the association occasionally presents special awards.
- Best Film: Drishyam
- Best Director: Jeethu Joseph (Drishyam)
- Best Actor – Male: Mohanlal (Drishyam)
- Best Actor – Female: Remya Nambeesan (English, Nadan)
- Second Best Film: Ayal
- Second Best Actor – Male: Mukesh (English, Vasanthathinte Kanalvazhikal)
- Best Actor – Female: Mallika (Kadhaveedu)
- Best Script: P. Ananthapadmanabhan (August Club)
- Best Music Director: Ratheesh Vega (Orissa)
- Best Lyricist: Prabhavarma and Madhu Vasudevan (Nadan)
- Best Playback Singer – Male: Najeem Arshad (Drishyam, Immanuel)
- Best Playback Singer – Female: Jyotsna (Zachariyayude Garbhinikal)
- Best Cinematographer: Udayan Ambadi (English)
- Best Child Artist— Sanoop Santhosh (Philips and the Monkey Pen)
- Best Editing — Sobin K Soman (Ayal)
- Best recording—Tapas Nayik (Nadan)
- Upcoming Actor, Niranjay (Black Butterfly)
- Upcoming Director, Sajin Babu (Astamayam Vare), Abin Jacob (Thompson Villa), Krishnajith S Vijayan (Flat No 4B) and Vinod Kumar (Test Paper)
- Most Popular film: Amen
- Special Jury Award: Orissa, Kunthapura, Vasanthathinte Kanalvazhikal and Pakaram
- Chalachithra Rathnam Award: K. R. Vijaya
- Chalachithra Prathiba award: T. G. Ravi, Mala Aravindan, A. J. Joseph
- Best Film: Pranayam
- Second Best Film: Urumi
- Second Best Actor – Male: Anoop Menon (Traffic, Pranayam)
- Best Actor – Female: Lena (Traffic, Athe Mazha Athe Veyil)
- Best Script: Bobby-Sanjay (Traffic)
- Best Music Director: M. G. Sreekumar (Arabeem Ottakom P. Madhavan Nayarum in Oru Marubhoomikkadha)
- Best Lyricist: Rajiv Alunkal (Arabeem Ottakom P. Madhavan Nayarum in Oru Marubhoomikkadha)
- Best Playback Singer – Male: Vidhu Prathap (Oomakkuyil Padumbol)
- Best Playback Singer – Female: Manjari (Urumi)
- Best Cinematographer: Santhosh Sivan (Urumi)
- Best child artist(girl) — Malavika (Oomakkuyil Padumbol)
- Best child artist(boy) — Ashwin (Athe Mazha Athe Veyil)
- Best editing — DONMAX (Chappakurisu)
- Best recording—Ananda Babu(Urumi)
- Best debutant director—Siddique Chendamangalloor (Oomakkuyil Padumbol)
- Best debutant artist—Shaji Idappal(Athe Mazha Athe Veyil)
- Most Popular film: Urumi
- Chalachithra Rathnam Award: O. N. V. Kurup
- Chalachithra Prathiba award: Janardhanan, N. L. Balakrishnan, Thodupuzha Vasanthi
- Best Film: Gadhama
- Second Best Film: Makaramanju
- Second Best Actor – Male: Biju Menon (Various Films)
- Best Supporting Actor – Female: Samvrutha Sunil (Various Films)
- Best Debut Director: Vinod Mankara (Karayilekku Oru Kadal Dooram)
- Best Story: Mohan Raghavan (T. D. Dasan Std. VI B)
- Best Art Direction: Gokul Das
- Best Cinematographer: Madhu Ambat (Gramam)
- Best Lyricist: Kaithapram (Holidays, Neelambari)
- Best Playback Singer – Male: Shankar Mahadevan (Holidays)
- Best Playback Singer – Female: Shreya Ghoshal (Agathan)
- Chalachithra Rathnam Award: K. S. Sethumadhavan
- N. J. Nair (23 March 2002). "No room for controversies". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 3 June 2011.
- "Chalachitraratnam Award". The New Indian Express. 19 April 2013.
- "Chalachitraprathibha Puraskar". The New Indian Express. 19 April 2013.
- "Chalachitra Ratna award for O.N.V. Kurup". The Hindu. 18 May 2012.
- "Chalachithra Prathiba award". The Hindu. 18 May 2012.
- Awards for 2010 "Critics award: 'Gaddama' adjudged best film". Indian Express Daily.
- Awards for 2011 "Kerala State Film Awards 2012 Winners List". India: Metro Matinee. 19 July 2012. Archived from the original on 20 July 2014.
- Awards for 2013 "Kerala Govt Film Awards: Fazil, Lal Bag Best Actors". Outlook (India). 19 April 2014. Archived from the original on 20 July 2014.