Kerala Monorail Corporation
|Type||State owned special purpose vehicle|
|Founded||Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India (5 December 2012 )|
|Headquarters||Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India|
|Area served||Kozhikode and Thiruvananthapuram|
|Key people||P.I. Sheik Pareeth
|Owner(s)||Government of Kerala (51%)
Kerala Road Board Fund (KRFB) (49%)
Kerala Monorail Corporation Ltd., abbreviated to KMCL, is a special purpose vehicle (SPV) formed to implement monorail projects in Kerala. Kerala has monorail systems planned for the cities of Kozhikode and Thiruvananthapuram. The SPV is fully owned by the State Government and the Chief Minister is the Chairman of the company. KMCL has its head office located at Thiruvananthapuram, with subordinate offices at Kozhikode and Thiruvananthapuram.
Kerala Road Fund Board CEO Harikesh, is Managing Director of KMCL. The Chief Minister is the Chairman of the board and Public Works Minister V.K Ebrahim Kunju is Vice Chairman. The other board members are Ministers K.M. Mani, P.K. Kunhalikutty, Aryadan Mohammed, Manjalamkuzhi Ali, M.K. Muneer and V.S. Sivakumar, as well as officials of Public Works and Transport departments.
The decision to form an SPV to implement monorail projects in Kozhikode and Thiruvananthapuram was taken by the State Cabinet and the administrative sanction was given in October 2012. The state government issued orders entrusting the Thiruvananthapuram Monorail project to the KMCL on 26 November 2012. The government had handed over the Kozhikode Monorail project to the KMCL prior to that. The state government received approval to float KMCL from the registrar of companies and was incorporated on 5 December 2012. KMCL's first board meeting was held in Thiruvananthapuram on 18 December 2012. At the meeting, a sub-committee headed by Minister for Public Works and vice-chairman of KMCL V.K. Ebrahim Kunju was set up to hold talks with the DMRC and reach an agreement regarding implementation of monorail projects in Kozhikode and Thiruvananthapuram. It was also decided to open KMCL offices in the two cities for expediting monorail projects.
On 12 June 2013, the State Cabinet gave clearance for an agreement to be signed between KMCL and DMRC, that would make the latter the general consultant for the monorail projects in Kozhikode and Thiruvananthapuram. DMRC will be responsible for the design, preparation of the bid document, shortlisting, and selection of contractors, supervision, and quality certification. The DMRC will receive 3.25% of the 5,581 crore (3,590 crore for Thiruvananthapuram and 1,991 crore for Kozhikode) as consultancy fee for the projects. The agreement was signed on 19 June 2013. It was a single agreement for both projects as the general consultant (DMRC) and the executing agency (KMCL) were the same.
The corporate office of the KMCL, located opposite the Manmohan Bungalow on the Kowdiar-Vellayambalam road in Thiruvananthapuram, was inaugurated by Oommen Chandy on 2 July 2013. Chandy also formally unveiled the logo of the KMCL at the occasion. The project office of the KMCL, which will coordinate the work in Kozhikode, was formally inaugurated on 6 July 2013 at the B block of the Civil Station in Kozhikode.
- "Sreedharan likely to be on monorail board". Deccan Chronicle. 2012-12-17. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Kerala forms SPV for monorail projects". Business Line. 2012-10-04. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Mono rail project: Kerala approves Articles of association". Business Line. =PTI. 2012-10-27. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Cabinet approves detailed project report of Kozhikode monorail project". The Times Of India. TNN. 2012-10-04. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- S. Anil Radhakrishnan (2012-11-27). "Monorail project on track soon". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Registrar's nod for monorail cooperation". The Times Of India. TNN. 2012-12-07. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "New company floated for Kerala mono rail project". Business Line. =PTI. 2012-12-06. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Kerala lines up Rs 10710 cr for infra development". Business Standard. 2012-12-07. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Kerala floats new company for mono rail projects". Newstrackindia.com. 2012-12-06. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- S. Anil Radhakrishnan (2012-12-14). "JICA keen on funding monorail". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Panel to put monorail on track". The Times Of India. 2012-12-19. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "KMCL to negotiate with DMRC". The Hindu. 2012-12-19. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "English News | Kerala". Manorama Online. 2013-05-23. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Nod for pact with DMRC for monorail". The Hindu. 2013-06-13. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- S. Anil Radhakrishnan (2013-06-15). "Agreement with DMRC to be signed on June 19". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Kerala Monorail, Delhi Metro ink consultancy agreement". Business Line. 2013-06-19. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "KMRC signs contract with DMRC for mono rail project". The Economic Times. =PTI. 2013-06-19. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Consultancy pact for Kerala monorails to be inked today". Business Line. 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Corporate office of KMCL opened". The Hindu'. 2013-07-03. Retrieved 2013-07-18.