Kerala Press Academy
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
Kerala Press Academy, is an academy of journalists in Kerala. It was established on March 19, 1979. It is a joint venture of the Government of Kerala, Kerala Union of Working Journalists and Indian Newspaper Society. The head office of Kerala Press Academy is located at Kakkanad, Kochi, Kerala.
Its primary aim is to foster and co-ordinate activities in the sphere of Journalism. The Academy has set up a full-fledged institute, published books and monographs, organized seminars and workshops and instituted endowments and awards for promoting excellence in the field of journalism.
The organization was set up as a joint venture of the Government of Kerala, Kerala Union of Working Journalists and Indian Newspaper Society in March 1979. In 1984, it established the V.Karunakaran Nambiar Award for best reports published in Malayalam newspapers on human rights issues. Its headquarters at Kakkanad was inaugurated in May 1985. The following year it started a one-year "Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism" programme. In 1992 it established two more awards the Dr. Mookanur Narayanan Award and the Chowara Parameswaran Award.In 1993, it started offering the "Post Graduate Diploma in Public Relations & Advertising" programme, another 1 year programme. In 1996, it decided to award the Moffusil Reporter's Award annually in the field of journalism.
Aims and objectives 
- To promote and co-ordinate study and research in the field of journalism.
- To organize or help to organize training courses, workshops, seminars, exhibitions and #consultancy services in association with working journalists, newspaper management and universities.
- To publish books, periodicals, monographs and research papers.
- To co-operate with academic institutions and organizations in the formulation of syllabus for teaching journalism.
- To institute awards to honour individuals, institutions and organizations in recognition of admirable services rendered and to grant fellowships for conducting advanced study and research in journalism.
- To conduct PG Diploma Courses in Journalism and also in PR and Advertisements, in order to give birth to a younger generation in the above mentioned fields.
The academy is administered by a General Council and an Executive Council composed of working journalists, media owners, and Government representatives constituted by the Government of Kerala.