Kerestinec is a village (naselje) west of Zagreb, in the Sveta Nedelja, Zagreb County municipality, infamous for events in Croatian history. It has 1,433 inhabitants living on an area of 4.71 square kilometers (1.82 sq mi).
The name of Kerestinec comes from Hungarian word kereszt which stands for "cross".
According to historical sources, there was a wooden chapel of Holy Cross near the Erdödy castle. Since the Erdödys were a Croatian-Hungarian noble family, a lot of Hungarian words were used in that time, and this is why Kerestinec bears such a name.
In terms of economy, Kerestinec is also the seat of several companies and numerous private enterprises.
Kerestinec is also the cultural center of Sveta Nedelja. The leader of cultural development is the local Cultural society Kerestinec. Other groups are the Sport-fishing club "Som", "TOP" Kerestinec Football club, Volunteer Fire Department Kerestinec and several other unions.
- "Population by Age and Sex, by Settlements, 2011 Census: Kerestinec". Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- "Prostorno razvojne i resursne značajke: Naselja". Zagreb County Spatial Plan (in Croatian). Retrieved 2009-01-06.
- Town of Sveta Nedelja official website
- Volunteer Fire Department Kerestinec official website
- Local church official website