Stokenham civil parish includes the settlements of Torcross, Beesands, Hallsands, Kellaton, Kernborough, Dunstone, Beeson and Chillington as well as Stokenham itself. It forms part of the district of South Hams.
Places in the parish
(Links to map resources)
|OS Grid Ref||Notes|
The parish church
The present church dates from 1431; an earlier Norman church predated it. The "church, as it stands today, is built on the side of a hill in a 'the Perpendicular style of medieval architecture' so that its whole length can be seen from below. It is dedicated to St. Michael & All Angels which was common practice for churches on an elevated position, however, at one time dedicated St. Barnabas."
Stokenham manor house
The Tradesman's Arms is an imposing 14th Century, part-thatched pub and restaurant.
- Stokenham Devon England Photos.
- Stokenham at Devon County Council website.
- Nicholas Orme, English Church Dedications: With a Survey of Cornwall and Devon (University of Exeter Press, 1996) page 24
- Stokenham Parish Council
- Stokenham Devon England Photo's.
- Stokenham Parish Church website.
- The Church of St Michael and All Angels, Stokenham at Geograph.org.uk.
- Excavations and Survey around the Village of Stokenham, Devon Department of Archaeology, The University of Exeter.
|This Devon location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|