November 14, 1986 |
Kesh was born and raised on the outskirts of London to a Malaysian father and Trinidadian mother. At age 17, she moved to London and began to design customized clothing for grime MC’s Jammer (rapper), Dizzee Rascal and members of Roll Deep. Her distinctive artwork lead to subsequent features in i-D Magazine and her role as fashion editor at SuperSuper Magazine. Simultaneously Kesh solidified her footprint in the emerging digital landscape: via the social network MySpace she began selling limited edition t-shirts of her artwork to an interconnected web of 77,000 friends - Kanye West among them.
As her position in the world of fashion and music continuously overlapped, Kesh became a key figure in London’s nu rave scene. In 2006 - 2007 she DJ’ed with Zezi Ifore and together formed The Coconut Twins. The DJ duo performed extensively throughout Europe, eventually parting ways as Kesh homed in on her artwork. After designing a London Fashion Week collection MAN for Topman, she moved to New York City and launched her second collection show at Anonymous Gallery. In 2009, she co-created Hennessy’s first artist-designed label with David Burrows (artist).
Kesh moved to Los Angeles in 2010 and set up her artistic sanctuary, the cave. She then released her first three independent prints: FETRINITE (300/300), VELENE (74/74) and THE EYE 3 COLOURWAYS (50/50), all of which sold out. Following her participation in Poland’s AYS Art Fair and an installation show at the W Hotel Paris, Kesh held her first independent show entitled ME.ME.ME in Los Angeles featuring 14 signed and framed 40x52 self-portraits. The event was broadcast live via the web and viewed by her thousands of followers across the world.In March 2015, Kesha planned to sue Versace for copying one of her graphic tee shirt designs.
- "Kesh Continues". Cool Hunting. 2011-04-05. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Kesshia: Who's That Girl". RWD magazine. Archived from the original on 2008-03-29. Retrieved 2008-09-05.
- "East End's top DJs". Time Out. 2007-06-04. Retrieved 2008-09-05.
- Emmanuel Ezugwu. "About to Blow: Kesh And Zezi: RWD Magazine". RWD magazine. Archived from the original on 2008-03-13. Retrieved 2008-09-05.
- "Kesh Kay + David Burrows = Dope Hennessy Campaign". Cheek Magazine. 2010-02-17. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Kesh: Modern Artist". Portable.tv. October 2012. Retrieved 2013-03-21.