Location of Keshena, Wisconsin
|• Total||8.5 sq mi (21.9 km2)|
|• Land||8.5 sq mi (21.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||823 ft (251 m)|
|• Density||150/sq mi (58/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||715 & 534|
|GNIS feature ID||1567430|
Keshena is a census-designated place (CDP) in and the county seat of Menominee County, Wisconsin, United States. Located on the Menominee Indian Reservation, it had a population of 1,262 at the 2010 census.
Keshena is located at (44.877932, -88.628781).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.5 square miles (21.9 km²), of which 99.88% is land and 0.12% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,394 people, 353 households, and 296 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 164.7 people per square mile (63.5/km²). There were 376 housing units at an average density of 44.4/sq mi (17.1/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 3.08% White, 0.14% African American, 95.98% Native American, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.07% from other races, and 0.65% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.73% of the population.
There were 353 households out of which 58.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 31.2% were married couples living together, 40.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.1% were non-families. 13.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.85 and the average family size was 4.07.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 46.1% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 26.1% from 25 to 44, 13.2% from 45 to 64, and 5.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 20 years. For every 100 females there were 101.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $19,792, and the median income for a family was $20,526. Males had a median income of $22,115 versus $20,170 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $8,578. About 43.9% of families and 45.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 57.7% of those under age 18 and 32.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Ada Deer, educator and politician, Assistant Secretary of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (1993-1997)
- David V. Jennings, politician
- Marcus Oliveira, boxer
- Sheila Tousey, actress
- Ingrid Washinawatok, activist
The main campus of the College of Menominee Nation is in Keshena.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "American FactFinder". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Ingrid Washinawatok", Menominee Website