|Born||1959 (age 55–56)
|Residence||Cecil Township, Pennsylvania|
|Alma mater||Gannon University|
Kevin Benson is a television meteorologist for WPXI in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He is a member of the National Weather Association and the American Meteorological Society, which has given him the AMS seal of approval.
He held early radio jobs in Erie and DuBois, Pennsylvania, subsequently becoming a weather forecaster on Erie's WJET-TV. He then became a weekend-afternoon DJ at Pittsburgh's WTAE-AM. He joined WPXI, Pittsburgh's NBC affiliate, in September 1987 as part-time weatherman. In June 1990, he became a WPXI co-anchor on the Pittsburgh television market's first Saturday morning news program. The experiment was a success and the format was expanded to include Sunday mornings.
While working part-time at WPXI, Benson pursued a second career in beer sales. During the early 1980s, he worked for Stroh Brewery Company's Erie offices; he was a brand manager for Iron City Beer from 1984 to 1987; and from the late 1980s to the early 1990s, he helped rescue a struggling Anheuser-Busch wholesale distributor in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania. These jobs took him throughout every small town in Western Pennsylvania, allowing him to become intimately familiar with the geography of the region, a skill that aided him as a weatherman.
Benson was described to have had his TV career's "defining moment" during the Blizzard of 1993, in which he and a co-anchor were on the air for most of an entire weekend. Co-workers were unable to get to the station to relieve them because of the snow-covered roads. Benson said the incident "really put me on the map".
In 1998, WPXI hired Benson full-time.
He graduated in 2003 from the meteorology training program at Mississippi State University, receiving a certificate in broadcast meteorology.
After reporting the weather on weekends for almost all of his years at WPXI, the station moved Benson to weekday mornings in April 2012. Benson returned to weekends in December 2013.
- Rutkoski, Rex (August 24, 2012). "Weatherman Kevin Benson to mark 25 years at WPXI-TV". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- "Kevin Benson". Biography. WPXI. Retrieved August 27, 2012.
- "Kevin Benson: WPXI, weekend morning co-anchor, weekend evening weathercaster". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. February 9, 2003. Archived from the original on August 25, 2012. Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- Vancheri, Barbara (Apr 18, 1998). "Della Crews rejects job switch, leaves WPXI". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Owen, Rob (May 12, 2006). "WPXI contests again". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Sciullo, =Maria (2012-04-25). "TV/Radio Notes: Mike LaPoint, Kevin Benson switch at WPXI; Burton leaving The Fan for TV". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved August 26, 2012.