||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
Kevin Borg in Sweden (2009)
|Birth name||Kevin James Borg|
9 June 1986 |
|Labels||Sony BMG (2008–present)|
|Associated acts||Daniel Lindström, Agnes Carlsson, Markus Fagervall, Marie Picasso, Alice Svensson|
Kevin James Borg (born 9 June 1986, Floriana, Malta) is a Maltese pop singer who lives and works in Sweden. Borg rose to musical fame as the winner of the fifth series of the Swedish singing competition Idol in 2008. He was the third male winner and the first in the show's history to be born outside of Sweden, having moved there exactly one year before he was declared winner.
Borg was born and raised in Floriana, Malta. He discovered his love for singing as a child when he performed the lead role in the school musical "Oliver Twist". His collaboration with composer Jason Cassar has led him to participate twice in both the Maltese selection for Eurovision Song Contest  and the Malta International TV Song Festival  in 2006 and 2007. He was a resident singer in the television programme Kalamita (2006–2007). Borg has also performed songs with noted Maltese singers Claudia Faniello and Olivia Lewis.
In December 2007, Borg moved to Arvidsjaur in the north of Sweden to live with his Swedish girlfriend. During the fall 2008, he auditioned for the fifth season of the Swedish singing contest Idol. Although he made it through to the final 12 live finals, Borg was not originally among the competition's front-runners. However, his strong performances caused a rapid growth in his popularity with viewers week by week. After making it to the final 2 and performing at Stockholm's Globen Arena before a live audience of 16,000 people, Borg was declared the fifth Swedish Idol on 12 December 2008, defeating Alice Svensson with 82% of the votes. Throughout the live finals, Borg had never fallen into the bottom three contestants.
TV4 received some criticism for including Borg, as he was already an established singer on Malta before his participation in Swedish Idol.
- Top 11 Idol 5 years celebration: "Natalie" by Ola Svensson
- Top 10 '90s: "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You" by Heart
- Top 9 ABBA: "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
- Top 8 Schlager: "Lyssna till ditt hjärta" by Friends
- Top 7 Rock: Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi
- Top 6 Soul & Duets: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" by Stevie Wonder
- Top 6 Soul & Duets: "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" by Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes
- Top 5 Love: "If Tomorrow Never Comes" by Ronan Keating
- Top 5 Love: "In the Shadows" by The Rasmus
- Top 4 Gospel: "Higher and Higher" by Jackie Wilson
- Top 4 Gospel: "The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson
- Top 3 Judge's Choice: "Livin' la Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin
- Top 3 Judge's Choice: "Hot In Here" by Nelly
- Top 2 Grand Finale: "You're the Voice" by John Farnham
- Top 2 Grand Finale: "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi
- Top 2 Grand Finale: "With Every Bit of Me" by Kevin Borg - Declared 5th Swedish Idol
2008: Debut single
After having won the Swedish Idol 2008 Borg signed a recording contract with Sony BMG. Borg's coronation song With Every Bit of Me was released one week after he had won the contest. The song was a hit in Sweden, where it debuted at no. 1 and stayed on top of the charts for two consecutive weeks.
2009: First album: The Beginning
On 4 March 2009 Borg officially released his album The Beginning in Sweden. The album reached no. 3 in the charts in Sweden and was certified gold. Borg also released his second single from the album, entitled Street Lights. The single reached no. 10 in Sweden.
The album was originally slated for release in February, but since Borg was at that time working on his music video for Street Lights the album was pushed back by a week. Borg made a nation-wide tour in the spring and summer of 2009 in Sweden.
Kevin was hand picked to perform the number one hit Single No Air Live on Swedish Television with the world famous singer Jordan Sparks.
In October 2011, Borg released his new single "Unstoppable", in support of the Breast Cancer Foundation in Sweden.
In November 2012 Borgs music single "Christmas Time" placed number one on the Maltese iTunes chart.
Kevin has also widened his career as a songrwiter /producer having written and produced the hit song Mental Breaker for K-Pop group in South Korea Block B . The song written by Borg and Marcos Ubeda made it all the way to number 10 on the world albums Billboard Charts + many otgher charts.
Borg participated again in the Maltese national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest 2013 in Malmö with the song "Needing You which he wrote and produced together with Simon Gribbe , Danne Attlerud, Thomas thörnholm and Michael Klauss" coming in second place.
Kevin has written and composed the song Storyline co-written with Simon Gribbe and Aidan O Connor and sng by Alin Vaduva who made it until the Semi Finals of the Romanian Semi Final of Eurovision2013.
May 2013 - Kevin is working very close to the Swedish Publishing Company Starlab, who are in a collaboration with one of the biggest Company in Japan Nichion and Johnny's where he is writing and producing very intensely with many different producers and songwriters both from Japan and Sweden. He writes a lot with his colleague Simon Gribbe.
|↙Other Charted Songs||9|
The following is a complete discography of every album and single released by Maltese pop singer Kevin Borg.
|Year||Information||Sweden||Sales and Certifications|
||Swedish sales: 37,000
|2008||"With Every Bit of Me"||1||Platinum (IFPI)||The Beginning|
|"The Last Words" (Digital only)||—||—|
Other charting songs
|2008||"Lyssna till ditt hjärta"||40|
|"Living on a Prayer"||9|
|"If Tomorrow Never Comes"||25|
|"In The Shadows"||37|
|"Higher and Higher"||29|
|"The Way You Make Me Feel"||44|
|"Hot in Here"||26|
|"Living La Vida Loca"||33|
|"You're the Voice"||52|
Musical participation in Malta
Malta International TV Song Festival
- 2006: Riflessi - 4th place
- 2007: Jasal il-Jum
Kevin Borg (2008)
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Kevin: Jag hade aldrig sett snö | Idol | Nöjesbladet | Aftonbladet" (in Swedish). Aftonbladet.se. 2008-10-27. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- [dead link]
- "december | 2013 | Sarah Tjulander | Sida 7". Blogg.veckorevyn.com. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- ""Hoppas jag säger rätt efter prästen" | Klick! | Nöjesbladet | Aftonbladet". Aftonbladet.se. 2011-07-23. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- Steffen Hung. "Kevin Borg - With Every Bit Of Me". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 2012-08-08.