13 November 1986 |
Clydebank, Glasgow, Scotland
|Medium||Stand-up, television, radio|
Kevin Bridges (born 13 November 1986) is a Scottish stand-up comedian.
Bridges began performing on the small stage when he left school shortly after his 17th birthday, doing stand-up comedy gigs at The Stand Comedy Club in Glasgow and then throughout the UK. Bridges said he was inspired to try stand up after reading Frank Skinner's autobiography. At 18 he reached the final of Channel 5's So You Think You're Funny competition at the Edinburgh Fringe. He performed at the 2008 Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Bridges appeared on Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow on the BBC, where he performed at the Edinburgh Playhouse.
His debut DVD, titled Kevin Bridges: The Story So Far... Live in Glasgow, was released on 22 November 2010.
Bridges' television career started on Comedy Central UK with a set on The World Stands Up which aired in April 2008. Shortly afterwards, he appeared on Comedy Store (also on Comedy Central). His performances on these shows and on the comedy circuit and at festivals led to his being given his first mainstream TV break on BBC One's Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow (recorded in April 2009 and broadcast on 5 June). Bridges was critically commended for his performance. Over 5 million viewers saw his debut and his entire 25-night run at the Edinburgh festival sold out in hours, with extra shows being subsequently added and also selling out. Bridges went on to be nominated for the 2009 Edinburgh Comedy Awards (formerly Perrier) in the best newcomer category. His TV work since then has included BBC One's Live At the Apollo and also a "Best of British Special" (Episode 7 of the 8th series) of 8 out of 10 Cats, in July 2009. He also appeared in BBC 2 Scotland's Gary: Tank Commander (episode 6). Bridges appeared in Rab C Nesbitt in the first episode of the new series in 2010, on Mock the Week in February 2010, in an episode of season 4 of Would I Lie To You?, and on the Jonathan Ross show on BBC One on 28 May 2010. He is a regular performer on Channel 4's Stand Up for the Week, which began in June 2010. His six-part BBC One series, Kevin Bridges: What's the Story?, began on 8 February 2012.
Bridges took part in the BBC 5 Live show Fighting Talk on 6 March 2010, where he came second behind Greg Brady, becoming the youngest person ever to appear on the show at the time (a record since broken by fellow comedian Jack Whitehall). He was also a contestant on BBC Radio 4's The Unbelievable Truth, broadcast in November 2010.
Kevin is the son of Andy and Patricia Bridges and has a brother, John, who is ten years older. He grew up in Clydebank and attended St Mary's Primary and St Columba's High. He left school when he was 16. He later studied social sciences at Glasgow Caledonian University.
- The Story So Far...Live in Glasgow (22 November 2010)
- The Story Continues... (12 November 2012)
- "Kevin Bridges". The Comedy Club Ltd. Retrieved 2009-07-28.[dead link]
- "Kevin Bridges Artist Home Page". Off The Kerb Productions. Retrieved 2009-07-28.[dead link]
- "Michael McIntyre – The Invention of the Kilt". BBC Comedy. 27 May 2009. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "Channel 4's Comedy Gala" (Press release). Channel 4. 5 April 2010. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "Play.com – Kevin Bridges DVD".
- Sweney, Mark (14 June 2010). "Channel 4 lines up topical standup show hosted by Patrick Kielty". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- "Interview: Comedian Kevin Bridges- The best since Billy Connolly?". The Scotsman (Edinburgh). 21 November 2010.
- Kevin Bridges speaks to the Gazette – Local Headlines. Lanark Gazette (2010-10-22). Retrieved on 2012-09-20.
- Kevin Bridges: What's the Story?, 22 February 2012
- The irrestistible rise of Kevin Bridges – top star in one year – News. Scotsman.com (2010-08-09). Retrieved on 2012-09-20.
- Donaldson, Brian. (2010-05-20) Five things you might not know about: Kevin Bridges. The List. Retrieved on 2012-09-20.
- Chortle page. Includes latest news and any tour dates
- Agent's Website
- Kevin Bridges at the Internet Movie Database