Kevin Brown (rugby league)
|Brown playing for Huddersfield|
|Full name||Kevin Mark Brown|
2 October 1984 |
St Helens, England
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||14 st 2 lb (90 kg) |
|As of 30 May 2014|
Kevin Brown (born 2 October 1984) is an English professional rugby league footballer for Widnes of Super League. Previously Huddersfield's captain, Kevin is an England international representative at centre or stand-off half, he previously played for Wigan.
Former Thatto Heath Crusaders, Haydock Warriors, Pilkington Recs and Blackbrook youngster, Kevin Brown played for Wigan's academy in 2002 and 2003. His form in 2003 was so strong that he received a call-up to Wigan's senior squad, scoring his first tries for the first team with a hat-trick against Halifax.
Kevin was called up into the 2002 England Academy squad that beat the Australian Schoolboys in winter 2002. Kevin had been included in the stand-by squad, but got his chance following the failure of Hull centre Kirk Yeaman to recover from a shoulder injury.
Kevin was selected for the Super League U21s squad to face the National League U21s in June 2003. Shortly afterwards, Wigan acknowledged the player's tremendous potential by extending his contract until the end of 2005. Wigan coach Stuart Raper commented: "I am delighted Kevin has re-signed as he is a big part of my future plans."
Brown became a first team regular in 2004 and 2005, and despite injury and shaky form, he signed a new deal in July 2005 keeping him at Wigan until the end of the 2007 season.
Newly appointed head coach Ian Millward commented: "Kevin is still only 20 and a very exciting player. He is still improving and as he gets better, which I am sure he will, he will be an important part of our attack."
In late 2006 Kevin Brown joined Huddersfield on loan and on 19 August it was announced that Kevin would leave Wigan and sign a 3-year contract with Huddersfield.
(For 2014 Super League season highlights, stats and results click on 2014 Super League season results)
He was selected to play for England against France in the one-off test in 2010.
Brown has signed a contract with Widnes from the 2013 season.
- Stott, Julie (6 October 2010). "England Four Nations Pen Pics". News of the World (UK: News Group Newspapers Ltd.). Retrieved 6 October 2010.
- "Huddersfield Giants". web page. Huddersfield Giants. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- "Eight new faces in Lions squad". BBC. 2007-06-12. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- Hadfield, Dave (2010-06-13). "Widdop passes his first Test at a canter". The Independent (UK: Independent Print Limited). Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- Kevin Brown Wigan Career Page on the Wigan RL Fansite.
- England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org