March 2, 1974 |
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Kevin Burkhardt (born March 2, 1974) is an American sportscaster. Currently one of the play-by-play voices for The NFL on FOX and formerly a reporter with SportsNet New York (SNY), Burkhardt was the field reporter during New York Mets telecasts from 2007 to 2014. He also called select Mets games during both spring training and the regular season during that time. He will be the primary studio host for Major League Baseball (MLB) telecasts on FOX and Fox Sports 1 beginning with the 2015 season.
Early life and career
Burkhardt grew up in Bloomfield, New Jersey doing play-by play for Nintendo games in his junior high school days, idolizing Gary Cohen (who was his partner in the Mets' broadcast booth). A 1997 graduate of William Paterson University, Burkhardt took his degree in broadcasting to radio station WGHT in Northern New Jersey, spending eight years working for the station, covering events including high school football. WGHT radio is known for giving many broadcasters their first big break in "the Business," and Burkhardt took advantage of all the great opportunities offered him.
Burkhardt also worked at Jukebox Radio under the supervision of Joe Nolan, broadcasting New Jersey Jackals minor league games for WJUX, owned by Jerry Turro. Burkhardt worked as a sales associate at Pine Belt Chevrolet in Eatontown, New Jersey, while working as a freelancer early in his career.
Burkhardt joined the Mets broadcast team at the beginning of the 2007 season, replacing Chris Cotter. Burkhardt interviewed for the SNY job, but never thought he would be hired. On SNY he has appeared on shows such as Mets Hot Stove, Mets Pre-Game Live, Mets Post-Game Live, and Mets Year in Review. Burkhardt left SNY at the end of the 2014 season, for a full-time job at Fox.
Burkhardt was also the play-by-play voice for Dallas Cowboys games on Compass Media Networks since the inauguration of its America's Team Radio Network in 2011 until 2013, when he joined the NFL on FOX and was replaced by Kevin Ray. He teamed with Danny White on the broadcasts. He also called college football games for the network.
In 2013, Burkhardt began calling games for NFL on Fox, teaming with John Lynch and Erin Andrews as the network's #4 announce team. This crew also called the divisional playoff game between the Saints and Seahawks on January 11, 2014. He also did fill-in work for Major League Baseball on Fox in 2012 and 2013, and in 2014 was named as pre-game host for MLB coverage on Fox and Fox Sports 1. On April 24, 2014 it was reported that Burkhardt had agreed to a three-year contract with Fox beginning in 2015. He will also join the Fox College Hoops team.
Burkhardt lives in central New Jersey with his wife, Rachel, and son, Logan.
- Deitsch, Richard (March 2, 2014). "Kevin Burkhardt lands MLB gig with Fox, Fox Sports 1, more". SI.com. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- Samuel, Ebenezer (15 May 2010). "On the sidelines with SNY's Mets field reporter Kevin Burkhardt". Daily News (New York). Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- "OverKnight Success". Kevin Knight. Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- "Mets On-Air Talent". SNY. Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- "Mets Broadcasters". Major League Baseball. Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- "Compass Media Networks Announces Broadcast Talent For 2011 Football Season," Compass Media Networks press release, Wednesday, July 20, 2011.
- Stapleton, Art. "Mets' Kevin Burkhardt also radio voice of Cowboys," The Record (Bergen County, NJ), Sunday, January 1, 2012.
- Yoder, Matt. "Kevin Burkhardt and John Lynch will call NFL playoff game for Fox". Awful Announcing. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- Burke, Don (April 25, 2014). "Kevin Burkhardt leaving SNY after season". New York Post. Retrieved April 25, 2014.