Kevin Burkhardt (born March 2, 1974) is one of the play-by-play voices for The NFL on FOX and a reporter with SportsNet New York (SNY). He is the field reporter during New York Mets telecasts. He calls select Mets game during both spring training and the regular season. He joined the Mets broadcast team at the beginning of the 2007 season, replacing Chris Cotter. Burkhardt interviewed for the SNY job, but never thought he would be hired. Burkhardt also called Dallas Cowboys games on radio for Compass Media Networks with Danny White as well as college football games until 2013. He will be the primary studio host for Major League Baseball (MLB) telecasts on FOX and Fox Sports 1 beginning with the 2014 season.
Early life and career
A 1997 graduate of William Paterson University, he grew up in Bloomfield, New Jersey doing play-by play for Nintendo games in his junior high school days, idolizing Gary Cohen, who is now his partner in the Mets' broadcast booth. He took his degree in broadcasting to radio station WGHT in Northern New Jersey, spending eight years working for the station covering events including high school football. From there, he got a part-time job working at WFAN. WGHT Radio is known for giving many broadcasters their first big break in "The Business" and Kevin took advantage of all the great opportunities offered him at WGHT Radio and credits the station for his current success. Kevin also worked at Jukebox Radio under the supervision of Joe Nolan broadcasting New Jersey Jackals minor league games for WJUX, owned by Jerry Turro.
Burkhardt was also the play-by-play voice for Dallas Cowboys games on Compass Media Networks since the inaugural of its America's Team Radio Network in 2011 until 2013 when he joined the NFL on FOX and was replaced by Kevin Ray. He is teamed with Danny White on the broadcasts. He also calls college football games for the network.
In 2013, he began calling games for NFL on Fox, teaming with John Lynch and Erin Andrews as the network's #2 announce team. This crew also called the divisional playoff game between the Saints and Seahawks on January 11, 2014. He also did fill-in work for Major League Baseball on Fox in 2012 and 2013, and in 2014 was named as pre-game host for MLB coverage on Fox and Fox Sports 1. On April 24, 2014 it was reported that Burkhardt had agreed to a three-year contract with Fox beginning in 2015.
Burkhardt lives in central New Jersey with his wife, Rachel, and son, Logan. He was a sales associate at Pine Belt Chevrolet in Eatontown, New Jersey while working as a freelancer early in his career.
- Samuel, Ebenezer (15 May 2010). "On the sidelines with SNY's Mets field reporter Kevin Burkhardt". Daily News (New York). Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- Deitsch, Richard (March 2, 2014). "Kevin Burkhardt lands MLB gig with Fox, Fox Sports 1, more". SI.com. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- "OverKnight Success". Kevin Knight. Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- "Mets On-Air Talent". SNY. Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- "Mets Broadcasters". Major League Baseball. Retrieved 22 December 2010.
- "Compass Media Networks Announces Broadcast Talent For 2011 Football Season," Compass Media Networks press release, Wednesday, July 20, 2011.
- Stapleton, Art. "Mets' Kevin Burkhardt also radio voice of Cowboys," The Record (Bergen County, NJ), Sunday, January 1, 2012.
- Yoder, Matt. "Kevin Burkhardt and John Lynch will call NFL playoff game for Fox". Awful Announcing. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- Burke, Don (April 25, 2014). "Kevin Burkhardt leaving SNY after season". New York Post. Retrieved April 25, 2014.