Kevin Butler (character)
|It Only Does Everything commercials
Long Live Play commercials character
Kevin Butler as he appears in "It Only Does 256 Players/Relentless War"
|First appearance||Dustin vs. PlayStation|
|Created by||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Portrayed by||Jerry Lambert|
|Occupation||Vice President of various departments of PlayStation|
Kevin Butler (portrayed by actor Jerry Lambert) was a marketing character used by Sony Computer Entertainment America as part of their It Only Does Everything (2009–2011) and Long Live Play (2011) advertising campaigns for the PlayStation 3 in North America. He starred as the Vice President of various fictitious departments within the PlayStation division of Sony, responding to "Dear PlayStation" queries. Due to the positive reception of the commercials, Sony extended them throughout the remainder of 2010 as well as into 2011. The character was created by Deutsch/LA, the advertising agency responsible for the campaign. Deutsch/LA also manages Kevin Butler's Twitter account and wrote his E3 2010 speech. Creative Circus graduates Will Lindberg and Mark Adler are responsible for creating the "Hall of Play" Facebook application to induct PlayStation gamers into the Hall of Play by Kevin Butler.
Kevin Butler first appeared in a 2009 ad for MLB 09: The Show called "Dustin vs. PlayStation" where he, the "Director of Game Accuracy", was debating the in-game abilities of Dustin Pedroia, 2008 AL MVP. He then appeared in another ad for the game called "Joe the Fan" discussing Pedroia's abilities with a fan named Joe Biancanellio, a Baseball Connoisseur. These are the only two commercials not part of the It Only Does Everything campaign and featured the original model PS3 due to these two commercials being made before the slim model was released. The original PS3 model can also be seen in Kevin Butler's "Artist Spotlight" for ModNation Racers.
The first commercial in the It Only Does Everything campaign began with the price drop and rebranding of the PS3 where the "Director of Rumor Confirmation", Kevin Butler, responded to a call in regards to a rumor about the PS3 price drop. Kevin Butler has since appeared in many additional commercials. On June 15, 2010, he made a live appearance at Sony's E3 press conference promoting the PlayStation Move and gaming in general. He revealed on his Twitter account that he has a college degree in M.B.A., Master of Being Awesome. In the "What Are You Waiting For?" commercial, it is shown that Kevin Butler has his own RV called "The PlayStation VP-ehicle" and he put the PlayStation Move to the ultimate test by spending 90 days in the Maguire family's house.
For the 2009 holiday season, Kevin Butler teamed up with Best Buy employee Nick DeVita from New York to promote a PS3 Best Buy bundle. They have since teamed up to promote PS3 Best Buy bundles for the consequent holiday seasons in 2010 and 2011.
On August 26, 2011, Butler told his Twitter followers "KB's off to be PRESIDENT of my uncle's new upstart company" which was later revealed to be fictional "Economy Flooring". This led to the launch of a new marketing campaign, Long Live Play, to succeed the It Only Does Everything marketing campaign. The first commercial in the Long Live Play campaign began with Butler as President, Economic Flooring, until he receives a call from Jack Tretton, President of Sony Computer Entertainment America, to return to PlayStation.
On October 27, 2011 (until Thanksgiving 2011), as part of the Long Live Play campaign, Kevin Butler opened the "Hall of Play" inducting PlayStation gamers into the Hall of Play through Facebook. As part of a DLC pack for LittleBigPlanet Karting, players who pre-order the game will receive a Kevin Butler Sackboy Costume and Executive Golf Cart.
He has a different title in each commercial (except the two MLB 11: The Show commercials, the Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception commercials), such as "Director of Rumor Confirmation" or "VP of First Person Shooter Relations". In his YouTube Channel, he notes that he is "PlayStation VP of... Lots of Stuff."  In the PlayStation Move commercials, instead of responding to "Dear PlayStation" queries, Kevin Butler has "Dear World" queries about motion gaming. In the "EyePet, There's a New Pet in Town" commercial, he has a "Dear Puppies" query for puppies. In the video announcing the launch of video streaming on PlayStation 3 in Canada, he referred to Canadians as "Canadese".
There have also been some unofficial titles given to him. At E3 2010, for example, when Gabe Newell came out to present Portal 2 on the PlayStation 3, Newell made a joke stating that Kevin Butler had introduced himself backstage as the "VP of Sharpening Things" which is why Newell seemed nervous.
|2009||Director of Game Accuracy ||MLB 09: The Show||"Dustin vs. PlayStation"|
|"Joe the Fan"|
|VP of Big Action Moments ||Uncharted 2: Among Thieves||It Only Does Action/Multi-Player|
|Chief Weaponologist ||Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time||It Only Does Time Travel/Crazy Weapons|
|2010||VP of First Person Shooter Relations ||MAG||It Only Does 256 Players/Relentless War|
|VP of PS3 Softball Team ||MLB 10: The Show||It Only Does The Show/Realism/Walk-Offs|
|Regional Manager of War ||God of War III||It Only Does Epic Trilogies/Vengeance/Rage|
|VP of Inspiration & Perspiration ||ModNation Racers||It Only Does Race, Create, Share/Track Creations/Parties|
|VP of Virtual Pet Relations ||EyePet||"There's a New Pet in Town"|
|VP of Family Showdowns ||Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11||"Distractions"; It Only Does Family Showdowns|
|VP of Add More Awesome ||Gran Turismo 5||It Only Does Revolutionary Racing Experiences/1000+ Cars|
|2011||VP of Infinite Infinity ||LittleBigPlanet 2||It Only Does Endless Fun|
|VP of The Cold Hard Truth ||Killzone 3||It Only Does Multiplayer|
|No VP title for this ad
Joe Mauer vs. Kevin Butler: MLB 11 The Show-down 
|MLB 11: The Show||It Only Does Pure Controls|
|No VP title for this ad
Kevin Butler Trashes Your Talk 
|Kevin Butler's S.H.A.F.T. Method (Specific, Hurtful, Accents, Frequency, Tijuana)|
|VP of Silent But Deadly ||SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs||It Only Does Tactical Strategy/Teamwork|
|VP of Heroic Actions ||inFamous 2||It Only Does New Heroes|
|No VP title for this ad
Parody of Mel Gibson in Braveheart 
|Resistance 3||First Long Live Play commercial for a PS3 game|
|No VP title for this ad
Grab The Ring 
|Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception||Second Long Live Play commercial for a PS3 game|
|2009||Director of Rumor Confirmation ||PlayStation 3 Price drop to $299 USD||It Only Does Games/Blu-ray/Everything|
|VP of Enough is Enough ||"Candle"||It Only Does PlayStation Home/Movie Downloads/Epic Fun|
|Family Activities Director ||"Desperate Dad"||It Only Does Family Togetherness/Family Games/Blu-ray|
|VP of Epic Footage ||"Mon Tage"||It Only Does Great Games/All-Nighters/Blu-ray Games|
|VP of Blu-ray Superiority ||"Grandma"||It Only Does Blu-ray Movies/Wi-Fi|
|VP of Big Deal Deal Making ||2009 Best Buy Bundle - a PS3, a select PS3 game, and a select Blu-ray movie||"BOOM!"; It Only Does Unbelievable HD Entertainment Bundles|
|2010||VP of Fanboy Relations ||New PSP campaign||Kevin Butler interviews Marcus Rivers for Step Your Game Up PSP campaign|
|VP of Epic Gaming for All ||"Epic"||PlayStation Move promo|
|VP of Family Funterventions ||"What Are You Waiting For?"||PlayStation Move promo|
|Gift Giving Guru ||"Conundrum"||It Only Does Gifts for the Whole Family/Blu-ray|
|Family Whisperer ||"Fake TV Family"||It Only Does Gifts for the Whole Family/Free Access|
|Boombassador of Deals ||2010 BestBuy Bundle - a PS3, Gran Turismo 5, Grown Ups on Blu-ray, and a select BRAVIA HDTV||It Only Does Unstoppable Deals|
|2011||First Person Sensei ||PlayStation Move Sharp Shooter||It Only Does Sharp Shooter|
|President, Economic Flooring||PlayStation 3 Price Drop to $249 USD||First Long Live Play commercial|
|VP of Bringin' It in 3D ||2011 Best Buy Bundle - PlayStation 3D Display and a PS3||Players can get a PS3 for $100 USD when they purchase a PlayStation 3D Display|
|VP of All or Nothing ||PlayStation 3D Display||Kevin Butler's latest gaming innovation: SimulView TM|
|Web (Twitter, PlayStation.Blog, Youtube, etc.)|
|2010||VP of Apologetic Apologies ||Via a Twitter tweet on the PSN being down for 24 hours.|
|VP of Realistic Movements ||Youtube||Promo for the PlayStation Move; It Only Does Fun/Immersion|
|VP of Artistic Modification ||PlayStation.Blog||Artist Spotlight for ModNation Racers, stars alongside Jack Tretton, CEO of SCEA|
|VP of Soiling Oneself in Excitement ||Via a Twitter tweet about Killzone 3|
|VP of Still Got It||Via a Twitter tweet|
|VP of International Diplomacy ||PlayStation.Blog||Kevin Butler's response to New Zealand's TV3 montage TV promo|
|VP of Being Teased ||Via a Twitter tweet about Resistance 3|
|VP of Shaking What His Mother Gave Him ||Via a Twitter tweet about SingStar Dance|
|VP of Yes We Canada ||PlayStation.Blog||It Only Does Movies; Kevin Butler announces Video Streaming in Canada|
|VP of Auditory Opinions ||PlayStation Yay Buttons||PlayStation Move website|
|2011||No VP Title
Kevin Butler Comes to Facebook 
|Youtube||Kevin Butler announces he's now on Facebook and has something big planned (the "Hall of Play")|
|2010||VP of Micro-Minigames ||LittleBigPlanet||"Kevin Butler Ware" LittleBigPlanet level|
|VP of Sharpening Things ||E3 2010||Gabe Newell's E3 2010 presentation of Portal 2|
|VP of Tweeting ||New PSP campaign||Huge Gamer's article on Kevin Butler hiring Marcus Rivers as PSP publicist|
|VP of Gamer Inspiration ||E3 2010||Kotaku Australia's article about Kevin Butler's E3 2010 appearance|
|VP of Explosions ||PlayStation Move||Game Rant's article about Kevin Butler's PlayStation Move "Epic" commercial|
|2011||VP of Guest Characters ||Capcom Unity||Capcom Senior VP Christian Svensson on whether or not Kevin would appear as a guest character on Street Fighter X Tekken.|
Hall of Play 
The Hall of Play is a fictional Hall of Fame that honors PlayStation gamers as part of Sony's Long Live Play campaign. The Hall of Play opened on October 27, 2011 with a Kevin Butler version of PlayStation's "To Michael" commercial (Kevin Butler was praised and his picture was shown at the end instead of Michael's). Kevin Butler began inducting various gamers every week day into the Hall of Play on November 1, 2011 until Thanksgiving (November 24, 2011). Although Kevin Butler no longer personally inducts gamers with their own induction video, PlayStation gamers can still be inducted by Butler through PlayStation's Facebook page app (hallofplay.com) where Kevin Butler walks players through the Hall of Play and has players recite the Hall of Play oath. Players are then treated to their own version of the "To Michael" commercial, with their name being praised and a picture of themselves in the place of Michael's picture.
|Kevin Butler's Induction video||PlayStation gamer(s)|
|PlayStation "To Michael" Kevin Butler version ||Kevin Butler|
|Butler Time ||Legit_Btness|
|The Ballad of GraveyardBoots ||GraveyardBoots|
|Blood, Sweat, and Tears ||KChow23|
|Toast ||Siloeyes and Okeneko|
|Father and Son ||Vurma and Yutlord22|
|Future President ||IDoGigs|
|Thanksgiving ||gamers everywhere|
In one of his first commercials, in response to a rumor monger questioning a then-confirmed price drop for the PlayStation 3, he says, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. Otherwise, I'd be a Nigerian millionaire by now." This prompted Nigeria's Minister of Information and Communication, Professor Dora Akunyili, to demand an apology from Sony, calling the commercial an "unwarranted attack on the reputation and image of the country." In response, Sony promptly issued an apology to the Nigerian government and immediately pulled the commercial from the air. A few days later, Sony replaced the commercial with an edited version, changing the original line to, "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. That's how World War I got started."
In July 2010, New Zealand television station TV3 ran an advertisement for "Something big on Monday nights". Gaming website ButtonMasher accused TV3 of directly ripping off the "Mon-Tage, It Only Does All-Nighters/Blu-ray Games" commercial. Kevin Butler replied via Twitter: "Dear TV3: You could have at least put my photo on top of the amp. Sheesh." 
In January, 2011, Sony sued George Hotz and others, in part for publishing PS3's private keys (which allows users to modify the system to run customized or unofficial software). On 9 February 2011, a post was published on Kevin Butler's Twitter account containing an earlier dongle key. The post was made in reply to another user who tweeted the code to @TheKevinButler in an attempt to mock Sony's threat that they'd prosecute anyone who "posts the PlayStation 3 private key" Kevin Butler replied, appearing to mistake the code for a series of Battleships co-ordinates, joking "Lemme guess... you sank my Battleship?" and copying the original message in his reply. The post was later deleted from the @TheKevinButler Twitter account.
The string of commercials starring Kevin Butler has been met with positive acclaim due to its humorous and lively tone. Gaming site Kotaku commented on the first two commercials that were released, "What we didn't mention is how funny they are." Sony Computer Entertainment America Senior Vice President Peter Dille said that the commercials have "been tremendously successful. Consumers love it. It's great to hear people like you guys love it. And the results are really in the sales because it's really been flying since this coincided in September with the launch of the new PS3." Engadget also loved the commercials saying, "We have to hand it to Sony, they've followed up nicely on their "worst kept secret" trade show jokes with an ad campaign that is fittingly self-aware". Destructoid praised the commercials, saying that they were much better than Sony's previous White Room series of ads, which was met with mostly negative reception, with most calling it "creepy." When Butler appeared at E3 2010, he was met with large praise from the audience.
Peter Dille, (real) VP of Marketing for Sony Computer Entertainment America, stated that they have received contacts from media, requesting an interview with Butler, not realizing he isn't a real person.
His catchphrase "Well played, Mauer", from a series of commercials with 2009 AL MVP Joe Mauer, is widely quoted among baseball fans, and has been the subject of parodies and t-shirts.
See also 
- Scott Steinberg (August 30, 2011). "Long Live Play". PlayStation Blog. Sony Computer Entertainment. Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- "A First Look At Two of The PS3's Newer, Funnier Ads". Kotaku. August 27, 2009. Retrieved February 9, 2010.
- Andrew Yoon (February 2, 2010). "Kevin Butler to star in PlayStation ads for rest of 2010". Joystiq. Retrieved February 9, 2010.
- "PS3: The Game Is On". Adweek.com. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- Crecente, Brian (2010-07-13). "The Creator of Sony's Fake Exec Hero Moves To Activision". Kotaku. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Creative Grads Build Hall of Play". The Creative Circus. 2011-10-31. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "PlayStation thinks Dustin Pedroia is a Hack". AdFreak. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "I have an M.B.A. Master of Being Awesome. RT".
- Dille, Peter (2010-09-09). "PlayStation Moving Into Your Home Soon". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-09-11.
- Schirado, Tyler (2011-11-07). "Kevin Butler Cordially Invites Gamers to the Hall of Play". gamerant.com. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- Buffaloe, Michael (August 7, 2012). "LittleBigPlanet Karting Coming November 6th; Watch the Sackboy Summer Sports Trailer". PlayStation.Blog. Sony Computer Entertainment America. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- Peter Dille (January 22, 2010). "It Only Does 256 Players". PlayStation Blog. Retrieved February 9, 2010.
- Kevin Butler. "KevinButlerVP's Channel". Youtube. Retrieved July 3, 2010.
- Dille, Peter (2009-10-02). "It Only Does UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Dille, Peter (2009-10-23). "It Only Does Great Games". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Dille, Peter (2010-01-22). "It Only Does 256 Players". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Dille, Peter (2010-03-02). "It Only Does The Show". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Dille, Peter (2010-03-09). "It Only Does Epic Trilogies". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Peter Dille (April 21, 2010). "It Only Does Race, Create, Share". PlayStation Blog. Retrieved May 15, 2010.
- Dille, Peter (2010-09-15). "Kevin Butler: "There’s a New Pet in Town"". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Dille, Peter (2010-10-11). "PlayStation Move: It Only Does Family Showdowns". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Dille, Peter (2010-11-18). "It Only Does Revolutionary Racing Experiences". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Steinberg, Scott (2011-01-14). "It Only Does Endless Fun". SCEA. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- Steinberg, Scott (2011-02-18). "It Only Does Sharp Shooting, Hard-Hitting, 3D Games". Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- Steinberg, Scott (2011-03-03). "It Only Does Major League Hits". SCEA. Retrieved 2011-03-03.
- Vaught, Tyler (2011-03-18). "Time to get SHAFTing with Kevin Butler for MLB 11 The Show". SCEA. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- "MLB 11 The Show -- Kevin Butler's S.H.A.F.T. Method: The Complete Series".
- Steinberg, Scott (2011-04-15). "It Only Does Tactical Strategy—with a Twist". SCEA. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
- Fleming, Brian (2011-06-07). "inFAMOUS 2 Launches Today". SCEA. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Stevenson, James (2011-09-02). "When Resistance 3 Met Kevin Butler". SCEA. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- "Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception - Grab The Ring Kevin Butler Trailer".
- Dille, Peter (2009-08-27). "It Only Does Everything". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Dille, Peter (2009-09-10). "It Only Does Family Togetherness". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Dille, Peter (2009-11-20). "It Only Does Blu-ray Movies". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Dille, Peter (2009-11-28). "It Only Does Unbelievable HD Entertainment Bundles". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Dille, Peter (2010-07-02). "Step Your Game Up with PSP and PSPgo". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Dille, Peter (2010-11-19). "PlayStation 3: It Only Does Gifts for the Whole Family". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Bender, Tim (2010-11-30). "It Only Does Unstoppable Deals". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- Bender, Tim (2011-11-30). "Exclusive Best Buy PlayStation 3D Display Offer". SCEA. Retrieved 2011-12-01.
- "Kevin Butler presents his latest gaming innovation: SimulView TM".
- Kevin Butler (March 2, 2010). "Kevin Butler's Twitter Page". Twitter.
- Kevin Butler (March 16, 2010). "Kevin Butler "Moves" from the FUTURE". Youtube. Retrieved May 15, 2010.
- Chuck Lacson (May 17, 2010). "ModNation Racers Artist Spotlight: Kevin Butler…’Nuff said". PlayStation Blog. Retrieved May 15, 2010.
- Kevin Butler (June 26, 2010). "The VP of Soiling Oneself in Excitement approves.". Twitter. Retrieved July 3, 2010.
- Butler, Kevin (2010-07-22). "Kevin Butler and New Zealand". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-07-23.
- "VP of Being Teased says Thumbs Up!".
- Beaulac, Ashley (2010-11-09). "Kevin Butler: A Message for Canada". SCEA. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "PlayStation Yay Buttons".
- "Kevin Butler Comes to Facebook".
- "Kevin Butler-ware: VP of Micro-Minigames - Little Big Planet (HD)".
- DynamiteJack (2010-06-16). "Kevin Butler hires Marcus to be PSP spokeskid". Huge Gamer. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- Fahey, Mike (2010-06-17). "Kevin Butler, VP Of Gamer Inspiration". Kotaku Australia.
- Taormina, Anthony (2010-09-05). "Kevin Butler: VP of Explosions Promotes PlayStation Move". Game Rant.
- Svensson, Christian (2011-09-15). "Kevin Butler for SF x T".
- "PlayStation "To Michael" Kevin Butler version".
- ""Adoption" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors Nychus13".
- ""Manp-stamp" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors MotherBoop".
- ""Platinum" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors Legion_Dragon".
- ""Teamwork" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors DirkTheDaring".
- ""Butler Time" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors Legit_Btness".
- ""The Ballad of GraveyardBoots" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors GraveyardBoots".
- ""Party" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors DKLincol".
- ""Blood, Sweat, and Tears" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors KChow23".
- ""Jersey" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors APickledEgg".
- ""Heroes" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors TheBigIrish1138".
- ""Toast" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors Siloeyes and Okeneko".
- ""Sidekick" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors Frometheus".
- ""Marmalade" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors Himeshinra".
- ""Blades" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors WithoutAFace".
- ""Father and Son" - PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors Vurma and Yutlord22".
- ""Cake" -- PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors Kailsen".
- ""Future President" -- PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors IDoGigs".
- ""Fireworks" -- PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors BRWCRW19".
- ""Thanksgiving" -- PlayStation's Kevin Butler honors gamers everywhere (Outtakes)".
- Michael McWhertor (September 8, 2009). "Report: Nigerian Gov't Upset Over New PlayStation Ads Update". Kotaku. Retrieved February 9, 2010.
- Brian Ashcraft (September 10, 2009). "Sony Cuts Nigeria Line From PS3 Slim Ad". Kotaku. Retrieved February 9, 2010.
- Mriceguy (July 20, 2010). "TV3 Rips Off Kevin Butler". www.buttonmasher.co.nz. Retrieved July 20, 2010.
- Kevin Butler (July 20, 2010). "Kevin Butler's Twitter Page". Twitter.
- Sony follows up, officially sues Geohot and fail0verflow over PS3 jailbreak. Nilay Patel, Engadget (2011-01-12). Retrieved on 2011-02-16.
- "Sony lawyers now targeting anyone who posts PlayStation 3 hack". Arstechnica]. February 8, 2011.
- "PS3 'jailbreak code' retweeted by Sony's Kevin Butler". Engadget]. February 9, 2011.
- "Sony is Suing Kevin Butler". Kotaku]. October 6, 2012.
- Joshua Topolsky (August 27, 2009). "Sony's new PS3 Slim ads prove it 'gets' the internet". Engadget. Retrieved February 9, 2010.
- Dale North (August 27, 2009). "New PS3 ad pokes fun at us bloggers, internets [Update]". Destructoid. Retrieved February 9, 2010.
- David Radd (September 14, 2010). "Kevin Butler Has Gotten Interview Offers". Industry Gamers. Industry Gamers. Retrieved September 17, 2010.
- Ian Chillag (February 15, 2011). "Sandwich Monday: The Kevin Butler". Retrieved February 15, 2011.
- Luke Plunkett (February 14, 2011). "Sony's Mascot Has A Sandwich, And It Will Kill You". Retrieved February 15, 2011.