13 October 1982 |
|Education||Caistor Grammar School|
|Spouse(s)||Clare Craze (m. 2007–10 divorced 2013)|
Kevin Clifton (born 13 October 1982) is an English professional dancer born in Waltham, Lincolnshire. He is a professional dancer on the British TV series Strictly Come Dancing, having previously worked as an assistant choreographer. He has also featured on Burn the Floor. He is frequently called "Kevin from Grimsby".
Clifton started dancing ballroom and Latin as a child in his home town of Waltham, taught by his parents, former World Champions Keith and Judy Clifton. He competed nationally and internationally as a child initially partnering his sister Joanne. Later, when they both chose to move on to different partners he chose Latin as his primary dance style so as not to directly compete against his sister. He was a Youth World Number 1 and four time British Latin Champion and won International Open titles in Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Japan, France, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland and Belgium. At the time of his retirement from competitive dancing in 2007, he was ranked 7th in the world.
In 2010 Clifton made his musical theatre debut in Dirty Dancing The Musical at the Aldwych Theatre in London’s West End, where he partnered BBC1′s So You Think You Can Dance winner, Charlie Bruce. From January 2008 to June 2013, Clifton and his fiancee Karen Hauer were principal dancers of the Burn The Floor Dance Company, performing in the show’s record breaking Broadway run as well as starring at the Shaftesbury Theatre in London’s West End. He also performed with the show in Japan, Australia, South Africa and the USA as well as making guest appearances on Dancing with the Stars in USA and So You Think You Can Dance in the Netherlands. They rejoined Burn The Floor as principal dancers for a short tour of Australia and Japan in Spring 2014.
In 2013, Clifton appeared on series 11 of Strictly Come Dancing and was partnered with Susanna Reid. He had previously auditioned for the show with his partner Karen Hauer but they had only needed a female dancer at the time, so he was instead employed as a choreographer for the show in 2012. In the 2013 Blackpool performance of the show he was joined in the opening dance by his family. On the same show, Reid and Clifton scored a massive 39/40 for their paso doble, putting them at the top of the leaderboard. He won the 2013 Strictly Come Dancing Pro Challenge becoming the Guinness World Records holder for most Drunken Sailors in 30 seconds The couple's popularity ensured they reached the final, on 21 December, where they finished as runners up with Natalie Gumede behind model Abbey Clancy.
Clifton grew up in the small North East Lincolnshire town of Waltham attending the East Ravendale Primary school where he was notable for his Michael Jackson impressions. He later attended Caistor Grammar School doing well academically before choosing to pursue his dance career rather than attend sixth form. He is engaged to fellow professional dancer Karen Hauer, having proposed to her on stage at a performance of Burn the Floor on her birthday. He was previously married to fellow professional dancer Clare Craze, splitting up in 2010 and later divorcing in 2013.
As well as taking part in various charity campaigns and visits in his role as a Strictly professional, Kevin is also a patron of the Wheelchair DanceSport Association  and the 2014 Dance Proms 
- "Local Dancers set Strictly Come Dancing Return". Grimsby Telegraph. 7 September 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "We Need To Talk About Kevin From Grimsby". BBC. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Strictly Come Dancing's Kevin Clifton appears on BBC Breakfast". Grimsby Telegraph. 10 December 2013. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Cliftons Dance Academy". Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Stage Star to put on Show in Grimsby". Grimsby Telegraph. 18 June 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Strictly Come Dancing's Karen Hauer and Kevin Clifton: 'If you get that one shot, you must hang on to it'". The Telegraph. 27 June 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- "Karen Hauer and Kevin Clifton". World Dance Management. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Kevin Clifton's family to feature in tonight's Strictly Come Dancing opening routine". Grimsby Telegraph. 16 November 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "It Takes Two:Pro Challenge 2013". BBC. 11 December 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Strictly It Takes Two Episode 54 Series 11". BBC. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Parents' pride as Kevin Clifton reaches Strictly Come Dancing final with Susanna Reid". Grimsby Telegraph. 14 December 2013. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- "Kevin Clifton on his way back to Grimsby after finishing as runner-up in Strictly Come Dancing final". 22 December 2013. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Celebrity partners revealed for Strictly Come Dancing siblings Kevin and Joanne Clifton". 7 September 2014. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Strictly Come Dancing Final: Pupils and staff at East Ravendale and Caistor schools pledge support for Kevin Clifton and Susanna Reid". Grimsby Telegraph. 21 December 2013. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- Soriano, Sarah. "Burn the Floor - Karen Hauer and Kevin Clifton". Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Ballroom Champ makes a Blistering Broadway Debut in Burn The Floor". Broadway.com. 13 August 2009. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- "Susanna Reid's Strictly Come Dancing Partner Kevin Clifton admits rehearsals are last minute due to her busy schedule". mirror.co.uk. 21 November 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
Kimberley Walsh and Pasha Kovalev
|Strictly Come Dancing runner-up
(with partner Susanna Reid)
Series 11 (2013)