|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives
from the 70th district
January 3, 2001-January 16, 2009
|Preceded by||Steve Austria|
|Succeeded by||Jarrod Martin|
October 11, 1967 |
DeWine graduated from Fairborn High School in 1986, received his Bachelor of Science degree in marketing from the University of Dayton in 1990, and earned an MBA from Wright State University in 1996. The DeWine family resides in Fairborn, Ohio. Before holding public office, Kevin was a regional development manager for the Dayton Power and Light Company. He is the second cousin of R. Michael DeWine, the current Attorney General of Ohio.
When Steve Austria vacated his seat to run for the Ohio Senate, DeWine was elected to represent the 76th district in the Ohio House in 2000, defeating Democrat Eric Marcus and independent candidate Christina Turner, winning 62.3% of the vote. In 2002, in the 70th district after redistricting, he defeated Democrat Lawrence Gordon with 71.7% of the vote. Against Gordon again in 2004, DeWine won with 69.3% of the vote.
In 2006, DeWine won his fourth term with 60.4% of the vote against Democrat Kevin O'Brien. DeWine was elected Speaker pro tempore in the 127th Ohio General Assembly. He was the chair of the Rules and Reference committee, and also serves on the Finance & Appropriations and the State Government & Elections Committees. He was not eligible to run for a fifth term due to term limits.
On January 16, 2009, he was elected unanimously as Chairman of the Republican Party of Ohio. He was reelected as Chairman in 2011. He would served until the middle of 2012.
- "Kevin DeWine Biography". Kevin DeWine. Retrieved January 8, 2007.[dead link]
- "Feature Alum: Kevin DeWine". In Good Company. Wright State University. Retrieved January 8, 2007.
- "2000 Election Results". Ohio Secretary of State. 2000-11-07. Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- "2002 Election Results". Ohio Secretary of State. 2002-11-05. Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- "2004 Election Results". Ohio Secretary of State. 2004-11-02. Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- "2006 Election Results". Ohio Secretary of State. 2004-11-07. Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- "Kevin DeWine Takes Over As GOP Deputy Chairman". WHIO Dayton. Archived from the original on November 29, 2007. Retrieved October 28, 2007.