|Full name||Kevin John Gray|
|Date of birth||7 January 1972|
|Place of birth||Sheffield, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|2000||→ Stockport County (loan)||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Kevin John Gray (born 7 January 1972) is a former English footballer, who played as a defender in the Football League for Mansfield Town, Huddersfield Town, Stockport County (on loan), Tranmere Rovers, Carlisle United and Chesterfield.
He started his career at Mansfield Town signing as a trainee in July 1990 and had a successful four-year period at Mansfiled. In 1994 Gray joined Huddersfield Town at the newly built Galpharm Stadium and played there for eight years and played just under 300 games for Huddersfield and he played one game on loan at Stockport County in 2000.
While at Huddersfield, Gray tackled Bradford City striker Gordon Watson in February 1997, the sliding tackle broke Watson's leg in two places and left his career in tatters. Out injured for 16 months, Watson was never the same player. Watson successfully sued Gray for negligence and was awarded £50,000 in interim damages. as well as a latter £900,000, the bulk of which was to compensate for the loss of anticipated earnings.
Then he joined Tranmere Rovers in 2002 where he had a nightmare spell playing just 18 games in 16 months.
- "Watson award in dangerous tackle case". BBC News Online. BBC. 1998-10-29. Retrieved 2 September 2006.
- ""Hard Cases" in Court". www.le.ac.uk (Singer & Friedlander Football Review). Archived from the original on 9 August 2007. Retrieved 1 September 2007.
- "The tackle that cost £959,143". www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk. Retrieved 1 September 2007.
- "McDonald lets four players leave". BBC Sport. BBC. 2007-05-08. Retrieved 8 May 2007.
- "Reds' Gray to have surgery". Times & Star. CN Group. 2008-11-07. Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- Kevin Gray's career stats at Soccerbase
- Football League stats at Neil Brown's site
- Kevin Gray's Carlisle United factfile at News & Star
- Feature on Gordon Watson's damages claim