Kevin Kennedy (actor)
4 September 1961 |
|Occupation||Actor, writer, producer, singer, and guitarist|
|Spouse(s)||Clare Kennedy; 2 children|
Kennedy was born in Wythenshawe, Manchester. He attended Saint Paul's Catholic High School and was a keen member of Manchester Youth Theatre. Kennedy later studied drama at Manchester Polytechnic (now Manchester Metropolitan University).
Between 1983 until 2003, Kennedy played the character of Norman Watts (known as Curly Watts) in the Coronation Street television series. He started as a paperboy, then a dustman (or binman) and later an assistant manager at a supermarket. The character had two marriages which produced two children - one from each wife. After a short break from acting while recovering from alcohol addiction in 2000, He released an album, Bulldog Nation, with his band The Bunch of Thieves, on the RCA Records label. The single peaked at Number 70 in the UK Singles Chart.
He returned to Coronation Street a few months later, before being written out in September 2003. In an interview in 2009, Kennedy said that he would consider a return to the show and it was later confirmed that he would film scenes for its 50th anniversary DVD. Kennedy was the writer and producer of the 2005 television series Spanish Capers. A second series was recorded in 2006-07 for Sky Television plc.
He also appeared in the 2009 "Scent from Heaven?" advert for Daz, as part of the company's "Cleaner Close" campaign. In 2010, Kennedy, along with several other Coronation Street stars, contributed to Trisha Ward's album Rogues, Angels, Heroes and Fools, recorded for the 50th anniversary of the TV series.
Kennedy had suffered from alcohol addiction and has recently released a memoir The Street to Recover. He is a supporter of Manchester City F.C. He serves as director of Addiction Management UK Ltd with his wife Clare, the Brighton-based organization's CEO, offering a "professional advice service to the business sector." 
- Johnny Maher fansite
- Blyth, Gavin (20 February 2000). "I was a washed-up alcoholic soap star until the day I started". Sunday Mirror.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 299. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Published Tuesday, Apr 14 2009, 19:46 BST (2009-04-14). "Kennedy: 'I'd like to return to Corrie' - Coronation Street News - Soaps". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- "Ken Morley and Kevin Kennedy to return to Coronation Street | Unreality TV". Primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk. 2 August 2010. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Get ready to go Ga Ga over We Will Rock You". Sunderland Echo. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Sniffing out white lies and dirty laundry - in Cleaner Close". Dazwhite.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- "Coronation Street - Rogues, Angels, Heroes and Fools - The Making of". YouTube. 2010-12-21. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- "Kevin Kennedy". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- Addiction Management UK website
|Actor to portray Caractacus Potts