Life and career
Born in Toronto, Klose grew up in Red Hook, New York. His parents, Woody and Virginia Taylor Klose, were radio producers and writers during the 1930s and 1940s.
Klose is a graduate of Harvard University, earning a Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, in 1962. He has authored five books, including Russia and the Russians: Inside the Closed Society.
For 25 years Klose was an editor and reporter at The Washington Post.
From 1994 to 1997, he served as president of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL), overseeing its relocation from Munich to Prague.
In 1997–98, he directed the International Broadcasting Bureau at the U.S. Information Agency.
From 1998 to September 2008 Klose was president of the National Public Radio (NPR), the United States' largest nonprofit radio outlet for news and cultural programming. He served in this position beginning in December 1998, and also served as the organization's chief executive officer from 1998 to 1999. He was also a member of NPR's corporate board of directors, and a Trustee of the NPR Foundation.In 2008 he was named President Emeritus.
Some criticized the choice of Klose to be the head of NPR because he "used to be the director of all major worldwide US government propaganda dissemination broadcast media including VOA, Radio Liberty, Radio Free Europe, Radio Free Asia, Worldnet Television and the anti-Castro Radio/TV Marti."
He also serves on the Advisory Board of the University of Southern California Center on Public Diplomacy.
On January 25, 2013 the Broadcasting Board of Governors announced that Klose would be the Acting President and CEO of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Acting in its capacity as RFE/RL's corporate board of directors, the Board voted unanimously to ask Klose to take on the position for up to one year, starting January 26, 2013. He will be on leave from his faculty position while serving at RFE/RL.
Until recently, Klose lived in Washington, D.C.
- Russia and the Russians. W. W. Norton & Company. 1984. ISBN 978-0393303124 (1986 paperback).
- Typhoon Shipments. W. W. Norton & Company. 1980. ISBN 978-0393335880.
- Who's Who in America – 2009 (63 ed.). 2008.
- Lenderman, Stephen (January 23, 2007). "The Spirit of Tom Paine".
- "Klose Named New Dean of the Philip Merrill College of Journalism". February 18, 2009.
- Klose to be RFE/RL acting president, RFE/RL, January 25, 2013
- Biography at National Public Radio site
- NPR announcement of Klose's installation (November 11, 1998)
- Interview from Eurozine
|President and CEO of National Public Radio