Kevin McReynolds at a card show at Hofstra University in spring 2013.
October 16, 1959 |
Little Rock, Arkansas
|Batted: Right||Threw: Right|
|June 2, 1983 for the San Diego Padres|
|Last MLB appearance|
|August 11, 1994 for the New York Mets|
|Runs batted in||807|
Walter Kevin McReynolds (born October 16, 1959, in Little Rock, Arkansas) is a former Major League Baseball outfielder with a 12-year career from 1983 to 1994. A two-time All-American from the University of Arkansas, he played professionally for the San Diego Padres and New York Mets of the National League and the Kansas City Royals of the American League.
He and Carmelo Martinez were dubbed the M&M Boys on the 1984 San Diego Padres team that reached the first World Series in franchise history. McReynolds shared the team lead with 20 home runs, while Martinez had 66 RBIs. Perhaps McReynolds best season was 1988 with the Mets. McReynolds tied his career high in batting average (.288) and set career highs in RBIs (99) and stolen bases (21). He also had 27 home runs. McReynolds finished third in National League MVP voting behind winner Kirk Gibson and Met teammate Darryl Strawberry. He once held the major league record for most stolen bases in a season (21 in 1988) without being caught. This record was broken by Chase Utley, whose stole 23 bases without being caught in 2009.
A 1978 Sylvan Hills High School graduate, the former Bear developed the Kevin McReynolds Sports Complex near his former high school.
- Inductee, SEC Baseball Legends (2012, inaugural class)
- Inductee, National High School Hall of Fame (2011)
- Inductee, Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame (1996)
- National League Player of the Month (September 1988)
- Major League Baseball record for most steals in a season (21) without being caught (1988)
- Pacific Coast League MVP (1983)
- Bill Dickey Award (1980)
- National Baseball Congress World Series MVP Fairbanks (AK) Goldpanners (1980)
- NCAA College World Series All-Tournament Team (1979)
- Arkansas High School Baseball Player of the Year (1978)
- Arkansas Class AAA State Baseball Championship / Tournament MVP (1978)
- List of top 300 Major League Baseball home run hitters
- Hitting for the cycle
- The 100 Greatest Royals of All-Time- #94 Kevin McReynolds
- Ultimate Mets Database
- Chandler, Bob; Swank, Bill; Swank, William G. (2006). Bob Chandler's Tales from the San Diego Padres. Sports Publishing LLC. p. 91. ISBN 9781596700246. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Wulf, Steve (April 16, 1984). "The Beast Team In Baseball". Sports Illustrated. Archived from the original on September 25, 2012.
- Naiman, Joe; Porter, David (2003). The San Diego Padres Encyclopedia. Sports Publishing LLC. pp. 86, 92, 98. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Naiman, Porter 2003, p.90.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube
|National League Player of the Month