Tony Levin and Kevin Parent (right)
12 December 1972 |
Greenfield Park, Quebec, Canada
Kevin Parent (born 12 December 1972 in Greenfield Park, Quebec (now a borough of the city of Longueuil) is a bilingual Québécois singer-songwriter. Although his first language is English, he was raised and educated in the French speaking area of Bay of Chaleur (Gaspé Peninsula) in the municipality of Nouvelle during his childhood and attended high school at the École Antoine-Bernard in Carleton-sur-Mer and now lives in the nearby town of Miguasha.
Discovered in 1993 when he participated in a songwriting competition, Kevin Parent signed to Tacca Musique shortly thereafter. His first album, "Pigeon d'argile" sold over 360,000 copies, making it one of the greatest Québécois successes of the decade. With hits like "Nomade sedentaire", "Seigneur" and "Boomerang", Kevin quickly became one of the biggest names in Quebec music in the 1990s, earning the respect of peers and critics alike, along with numerous Felix Awards in the province and tour dates on both sides of the Atlantic. Two years later, Kevin released "Grand Parleur, Petit Faiseur", which also sold more than 350,000 copies and earned Kevin the Felix Award for Rock Album of the Year in 1998. His follow up albums, Les Vents ont changé (2001) and Retrouvailles (2003), which featured collaborations with Claire Pelletier, Catherine Durand, among others, both achieved multi-platinum status and earned him numerous Juno Award nominations (including a win for the best selling Francophone album of 2002) and Felix Awards.
- 1995: Pigeon d'argile
- 1998: Grand parleur, petit faiseur
- 2001: Les Vents ont changé
- 2003: Retrouvailles
- 29 May 2007: Fangless Wolf Facing Winter (English)
- 2009: Kevin Parent
Awards and recognition
- 2002: Juno Award for Best Selling Francophone Album, Les Vents ont changé
- 1999: ADISQ award for Album Pop-Rock of the Year, Grand parleur, petit faiseur
- 1998: ADISQ award for Song of the Year, "Fréquenter l’oubli"
- 1998: ADISQ award for Male artist of the Year
- 1997: ADISQ award for Song of the Year for "Father On the Go"
- 1996: ADISQ award for Song of the Year for "Seigneur"
- 1996: ADISQ award for Male artist of the Year
- 1996: ADISQ award for Concert of the Year
- Charlebois, Gaetan L. (3 June 2007). "Comedy awards gala yields gales of groans instead of guffaws". The Gazette (Montreal). Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- "À Pinel à cause de son béguin pour Kevin Parent" (in French). Le Journal de Québec. 10 October 2007. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- "Come With Me" single announcement at Audiogram
- Official website
- (French) Quebec Info Musique: Kevin Parent
- (French) TQS: Kevin Parent profile
- The Canadian Encyclopedia: Kevin Parent